What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tethering to my Android phone?

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I tether my Ipad to my HTC Incredible phone instead of buying the 3G network for surfing the net? If so...how? Thanks

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes you should be able to if it's the native android tethering. It under settings, wireless controls, portable hotspot, I use it on my nexus one. I'm not to sure if the incredible has 2.2 yet with is the requirement for the native tethering. If not there are ways to do it but you have to pay. I'm sure when the new droids come out the incredible should receive 2.2 if your not already on it.

brandiem09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hivoltage,

You can root your phone and download the wireless tether for root users in the Android market. You can try these forums for information about rooting. Make sure you read all of the information carefully. I rooted my HTC Hero so I can tether my iPad. :)

Good luck!

androidforums dot com/htc-incredible

forum.xda-developers dot com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
By all means do it..... tons of folks here do, I do with my iPhone.....

If you just need 3G for occasional use, I think it's the only way to go. If I was going to need 3G 2 hours a day or something, I would have got the 3G pad.....

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our work is taking our iPhones away and issuing Droids and even switching carriers to Verizon :mad: is it possible to root the droids?

OP
Hivoltage

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes you should be able to if it's the native android tethering. It under settings, wireless controls, portable hotspot, I use it on my nexus one. I'm not to sure if the incredible has 2.2 yet with is the requirement for the native tethering. If not there are ways to do it but you have to pay. I'm sure when the new droids come out the incredible should receive 2.2 if your not already on it.
This is in the phone or the Ipad? I just seen that a 2.2 update is on the war for my Incredible.

Last edited:

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our work is taking our iPhones away and issuing Droids and even switching carriers to Verizon :mad: is it possible to root the droids?

Try scrolling back two posts before yours.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I found another thread that states Verizon somehow doesn't let rooting work on phone over their network. I dont know how that is since i've seen Sprint phones rooted and working while roaming in a Verizon network.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

I found another thread that states Verizon somehow doesn't let rooting work on phone over their network. I dont know how that is since i've seen Sprint phones rooted and working while roaming in a Verizon network.

It works. Version 2.2 of Android is where rooting is going to get difficult, but 2.1 works without a problem at all.

Odin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have 2.2 on my Droid now and for some reason I can't get the Wireless Tether for Root Users to work. It looks and acts as if it is connected to my iPad, however I can't get online with it. I checked with my computer and it connects and appears to have an internet connection too but it doesn't connect. O'Well. Can't wait till it is figured out. Would be awesome to be able to use my iPad where ever I wanted through the tether.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It works. Version 2.2 of Android is where rooting is going to get difficult, but 2.1 works without a problem at all.

can you point me to 2.1 for the Droid?

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

can you point me to 2.1 for the Droid?

You should already be on version 2.1 of the Android operating system. Jump over to Droid Forums - Nexus, Motorola, HTC - DroidForums.com or HTC Incredible Forum and you should be able to get the rooting info you need. I haven't done the rooting on my Incredible yet, so I'm no help on that point, I'm afraid.

Most reactions

Latest posts