What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues backing up and transferring apps and data from Ipad to Ipad 2

genericjanedoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope someone can help, I've been working on this problem for hours and I'm at my wits end.

I had a lot of apps that I downloaded straight onto my Ipad, so when I decided to upgrade to an Ipad 2, I had a lot of syncing and backing up to do. I came across several problems with this, notabley that syncing would just hang and I would have to crash out of itunes and re-enter, at which point some of the new apps would have updated. I had to do this several times though to ensure I had most, if not all of my apps in the itunes library.

Now following all the advice out there, I plugged in my new Ipad 2, expecting it to offer me the chance to reinstall my backup (taken from the first Ipad). Not a bit of it. It asked me if I wanted to register or continue to set up my itunes store account (which I already have). Nothing like this is supposed to happen according to a lot of the "tutorials" out there, so I unplugged the Ipad 2 and tried to backup the original Ipad again. I got some sort of error message saying "iTunes could not back up the ipad… because a session could not be started with the ipad." After clicking the OK button, I tried syncing again. It eventually stalled again, but not before I'd been able to see all my apps in the app library. So I tried reinstalling the Ipad 2 and got the message "itunes was unable to load provider data from Sync Services. Reconnect or try again later." and I am STILL not getting the option to restore a backup.

What am I supposed to do now? some sites are suggesting I reinstall itunes but I'm terrified that if I do that, I'll lose all my apps and data (that happened once before). I just can't take that risk.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
backing up is a good thing, right.....

ok, lets do some backing up, hope you have an external HD.

Lets backup itunes, this means everything..iTunes: Back up your iTunes library by copying to an external hard drive

now lets make a copy of your iPad 1 backup...always good to do.

Q: Where are these backups stored?

A: By default, backups are stored in the following folders:
Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

now you can do whatever and be at peace.

did you try restarting the pc first.

how to check in iTunes for backups,

How-To-Delete-iTunes-Backup-Files.png

you can restore your iPad 1 backup to the iPad 2.

right click...

restore-from-backup-ipad-itunes-mac.png

no need to connect ipad1 again if you did it already.

if you restore from backup successfully, you have to add the apps, music, pics after....

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just do those first, if not then re-install iTunes after.

what computer are you using?

Most reactions

Latest posts