What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Technical Book Authors

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am a retired electrical engineering professor and would like to circumvent the conventional "establishment" technical book publishers.

On the other hand, I would like reasonable compensation for my time and effort.

I have a number of ideas of how to explain certain topics in math, physics, and engineering in a more "learner friendly" way. It seems to me that the ebook format has potential, but I don't know anything about the process.

Is there anyone else here with similar objectives? Any ideas and/or advice ?

Thanks!

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a retired electrical engineering professor and would like to circumvent the conventional "establishment" technical book publishers.

On the other hand, I would like reasonable compensation for my time and effort.

I have a number of ideas of how to explain certain topics in math, physics, and engineering in a more "learner friendly" way. It seems to me that the ebook format has potential, but I don't know anything about the process.

Is there anyone else here with similar objectives? Any ideas and/or advice ?

Thanks!
That's an excellent idea! Self-published eBooks has sprouted a whole cottage industry. I know Amazon has a entire area dedicated to self-published ebooks.

Just use the Google search (upper right-hand corner of every page) and type in "self publish ebook" or something along those lines and you'll get all sorts of information, apps, etc.

We had a story about something similar in the iPF News just the other day...

http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipa...our-photos-ebooks-only-1-99-a.html#post347971

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might try Inkling. Vook is also an outlet, but they publish too much junk for my taste.

bonzoboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of potential authors in a similar position. Let me know what you discover!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a free book on the iBooks Store called "iPad Publishing Guide", it's definitely worth a look.

The Archangel

OP
Heaviside

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good info, folks.

Just for the record, I have discovered that you can make nice looking equations with MathType and Pages, then export from Pages to epub format. Apple has a nice free template and instructions for producing epub books on their website.

As a recent returner to the Mac world, I am having to learn Pages after being immersed for so long in MS Word. It takes a while to unlearn all those keyboard shortcuts that took me so long to acquire that my first book will prabably take a while, but I think Pages is the right route.

Any other opinions or advice?

Most reactions

Latest posts