What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not sure if I should create an ebook of my children's book.

new author

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a new self-published author of a children's book with professional illustrations. I was thinking of making an ebook of my children's book, but I'm not sure if I should. I've been told, some people may buy the ebook and remove the protection from the file and give it away to others for free. Then, the file will be "out there" and even more people can download it for free. If they are able to do that, they probably won't buy the book and I will not make very much on an ebook that people can download for free. I need to make a little money on all my efforts and try to make back the cost of self-publishing, which to date is almost $5000 for 1 book. I have 4 other children's books in the series which I need to publish.

I would like know the pros and cons of an ebook to help me decide what to do. Also, any suggestions of who to contact to create the ebook. I have looked into many, but it is so confusing. Thanks so much for your help and advice.

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are currently NO ebooks formats that are 100% protected from theft. It simply doesn't exist. So anything you do has to be done with the knowledge that someone is going to steal your work.

With that in mind, I would suggest if you have an Apple computer that you download the new iBook app which allows you to make an ebook for free and then directly publish it on the Apple store. Apple will take its normal 30% cut but it would allow you to only invest time in creating the ebook in their format.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Skull One has given you some great advice, that I certainly found interesting.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have a Mac get iBooks. Publish through the AppStore and you get all the built in protections.

That said...

You should be so lucky to have a book that people want to spread for free.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dougrogers said:
If you have a Mac get iBooks. Publish through the AppStore and you get all the built in protections.

That said...

You should be so lucky to have a book that people want to spread for free.

I was hoping you'd see this one, you're the only one I know who has an ebook out there.

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for thinking of me. Two up, one more to go, then I'm working on the fourth, which I hope to be able to charge for. As a non-American, we have to jump through some hoops to move money through the app store. After about thirteen weeks, about 300 copies altogether of the two free books have been downloaded. If/when I get the 100 Cats book on the store, I shouldn't expect any return for six months. Just a guess. I know I won't get rich, and I know there's no chance I'll ever come near to recovering anything like $5000.

DRM is practically useless. Anyone who wants a free copy of your book will know how to beat it. Embrace the now thoroughly broken model of commerce, or go home to paper. As has been said better by others, DRM punishes only your buyers.

Baen books has embraced the DRM free model. Sales have increased. But one thing they have that I, and the OP do not have, is an audience. If someone likes my book enough to bother busting the Apple imposed DRM, to like it enough to share, then they are marketing for me. For free.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dougrogers said:
Thanks for thinking of me. Two up, one more to go, then I'm working on the fourth, which I hope to be able to charge for. As a non-American, we have to jump through some hoops to move money through the app store. After about thirteen weeks, about 300 copies altogether of the two free books have been downloaded. If/when I get the 100 Cats book on the store, I shouldn't expect any return for six months. Just a guess. I know I won't get rich, and I know there's no chance I'll ever come near to recovering anything like $5000.

DRM is practically useless. Anyone who wants a free copy of your book will know how to beat it. Embrace the now thoroughly broken model of commerce, or go home to paper. As has been said better by others, DRM punishes only your buyers.

Baen books has embraced the DRM free model. Sales have increased. But one thing they have that I, and the OP do not have, is an audience. If someone likes my book enough to bother busting the Apple imposed DRM, to like it enough to share, then they are marketing for me. For free.

Good luck with those books and make sure you post here when you do so I can have a look at them. Cats are my favorite creature!

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dougrogers said:
Baen books has embraced the DRM free model. Sales have increased. But one thing they have that I, and the OP do not have, is an audience.

That's Tor books which has gone DRM free.

Most reactions