What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Targus Z-case (lots of photos)

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I've been trying to look for a good case for my 3; something that I can use for carrying around to class and just for daily transport...

I know a case for the 2 isn't going to work due to the dimensions of it. I have a Belkin Snap Shield and smart cover on my 3 which I don't want to take off.

So I got the Targus Z-case which is made for the 1.

Here are the dimensions of the 1 and 3
1:
243 mm (h)
190 mm (w)
13mm (d)

3:
241 mm (h)
186 mm (w)
9.4 mm (d)

3 with the snap shield and smart cover:
243mm (h)
191mm (w)
14mm (d)

Inside dimensions of the Z-case
243mm (h)
191mm (w)
17mm (d)

So it is pretty much a perfect fit. The difference in depth is nothing. It won't move around; since the "grippiness" of the polyurethane smart cover and plastic finish on the snap shield really clings to the suede-like fabric that is lined inside the case. The cover is held closed by two strong magnets.

Measurement photos I took is only depth. That was the only thing I was most worried about at the time of purchase.

Originally purchased from amazon for $20 shipped. But it came damaged.. the back has a giant crease in it like someone stepped on it. Didn't come in the original box either. Will be returning it.

However, a user in my accessories thread he/she bought theirs from tjmax.. So I went there and found a couple for $12. Game.

One last thing.. my NewTrent Limir stylus doesn't fit inside. I can't close the cover with it shoved inside of the case. Only bummer. Guess it'll go in my pocket.

Photos:

IMAG0178.jpg

Top view - rivets are nice and tight
IMAG0180.jpg

Bottom view
IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

Add about.. 3mm due to the bottom of the ruler.
IMAG0185.jpg

Add about 3mm. Measured up to the inside edge of the case.
IMAG0186.jpg

Gap difference
IMAG0187.jpg

Magnet placement on the flap
IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg

Last edited:

Sincity

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still waiting for my 3 and in the mean time, found a bunch of these at my local Marshalls for $12.99.

OP
exile

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a pretty good deal. If you get one though, make sure you take it out of the box and inspect it. Some have some quality control issues. I might take mine back and do an exchange for another one.

The flap that opens and closes; seems like not enough adhesive was applied to keep the pleather adhered to the case. So when you press on it, it makes sticky sounds as if it isn't sticking; which it isn't. If I press really hard it'll stick, but then in a couple of days it'll lift back up. It is definitely usable. Just annoying, knowing that this issue is prevalent.

It is an awesome case! Not everything is perfect though.

Most reactions