What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Review of Cardinal Case for iPad 2

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
http://youtu.be/Au6gSbipEFw

Hey Folks,

I bought the cardinal case for iPad 2. It's a booksyle case.

According to the website, the wood frame is American Black Walnut, with a rich cappuccino finish. The outside of the cover is traditional book fabric (Morocco grain faux leather) and is available in Cardinal, Black, and White. The inside of the cover is book cloth and available a several different colors.

The fit: The iPad is held in place by magnets on it's left side (smart cover style). On the right side, the wooden lip grips the edge of the ipad holding it in place. I'll say right away that the magnets aren't that stong and in a shake test, the iPad came right out. ***EDIT*** The magnets are about as stong as the magnets in the smart cover. Smart covers aren't meant to pass a shake test and maybe this case wasn't either.

Size and Weight: The case feels really light in hand. It didn't feel bulky and was actually smaller than I thought it would be. It's smaller than a Pad & Quill Octavo and larger than a Switcheasy Canvas. It didn't make the iPad feel cumbersome. I did add some weight and bulk which you would expect from a case like this, but not overly so.

Height: 10 inches (254 mm)
Width: 8 inches (203.2 mm)
Depth: 0.5625 inches (14.287 mm)
Weight: 10 ounces (283.5 g)

Using it as a stand:
Lifting the iPad on the left side and attaching it magnets in the cover, the case can be used as a stand. The stand is sturdy and easy to set up. Great for a lap, desk, or other surface. I was able to set up the stand and use my foldable keyboard on my lap with no problem. I've got long legs, mind, but you get the point.

Craftsmanship: The case seems reasonably well made. The wood is sanded smoothly, the fabric inside and outside seems of good quality. No issues on construction.

Protection: There is nothing to protect the bottom and top of the iPad (port side and headphone jack side). See photos.

Accessiblity: The volume rocker & mute/lock rotation buttons are easy to access. So is the 30 pin port.

My thoughts: I'll be returning this case because the magnets are not strong enough to keep the iPad in place. I did a shake test in the video and the iPad came right out. Also the magnet in the cover doesn't close the case tightly enough. I could easy see this case cover getting more loose over time in a bookbag, messenger, or purse.

It was a good effort by the folks at cardinalcase.com, but I'll stick with my other cases.

Attachments

• bottom port.JPG
    bottom port.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 531
  • closed back.JPG
    closed back.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 442
  • ipad in and open.JPG
    ipad in and open.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 501
  • top headphone.JPG
    top headphone.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 397
  • volume rocker.JPG
    volume rocker.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
OP
jasmynsway

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here are a few more photos.

Attachments

• ipad stand 2.JPG
    ipad stand 2.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 534
  • ipad stand.JPG
    ipad stand.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 570
  • open magnet side.JPG
    open magnet side.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 559

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
look heavy and bulky you didn't comment on weight.

OP
jasmynsway

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out. I did an edit.

mactech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife's iPad sits snug in the case (red / dark grey) and passes the "blizzard test". I did notice you skipped a step in your review. The instructions say that when you put the iPad in the frame you are supposed to press it down with your thumbs to get a good fit - but you skipped that step in the middle of your video right before shaking it so that is probably the issue.

OP
jasmynsway

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My wife's iPad sits snug in the case (red / dark grey) and passes the "blizzard test". I did notice you skipped a step in your review. The instructions say that when you put the iPad in the frame you are supposed to press it down with your thumbs to get a good fit - but you skipped that step in the middle of your video right before shaking it so that is probably the issue.

I noticed that too when watching it. I actually tried several times to get the ipad to stay in the case and wasn't successful. On the cardinal case facebook page, one guy said he got his to pass the shake test, but another person was unsuccessful. I guess it depends on the case.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Most reactions