What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing to new computer

galen1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had a hard disk failure on my principal computer and so lost all my back up iPad data including apps. In trying to synchronise again with new disk and iTunes I get message 'iPad not synchronised with this iTunes library synching will delete all data from your iPad.' Following advice from Apple support online I have successfully transferred PURCHASED songs books and videos to computer but I cannot transfer purchased apps to library on new computer. I get a message saying all apps will be lost from iPad if I sync. Apple support appear to be no help. Can anyone help me?

galen1

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure that you are logged into your iTunes account on the computer. Also go to the Store menu and make sure the computer is authorized. This must be the same account you were already using for the iPad.

Now try to transfer purchases again. The apps really should sync with iTunes, but never having done this myself, I could easily be wrong.

If that fails, you can still use Don'tUnderstandMyIpad's suggestion. If you don't feel up to making a list, just take screen shots of all the screens (don't forget the folders).

OP
G

galen1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for advice will try again. Account and computer were logged on and authorised. When agreeing to transfer purchases from iTunes account from iPad to computer books and videos transferred successfully but no apps appeared in iTunes library. When ticking box to synchronise apps warning message appeared saying all apps from iPad will be deleted and replaced with those in iTunes library (ie -none). Will try again and let you know the outcome.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
You can redownload purchased apps free of charge. So you might want to make a list of the apps you have and then download them again via iTunes.

Apple makes the list for you. When logging in, after authorizing, you can go to tools, options??? (forgive me I'm in my bed. It's 530) and view your account and see recent purchases and an entire log of them. An apple
rep may even be able to place them in your queue so you don't have to go one by one. This was done for me once

As far as your music and videos and photos, I've bn there. My computer crashed 2 years ago, had to build a new library from scratch. I'm sure you can email all your pictures, but you will have to rebuild unfortunately.

OP
G

galen1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have succeeded in transferring all apps etc to new computer, having that new iTunes library synchronised to iPad, and re transferring them back to the iPad without losing anything but music playlists. Used 'file - transfer purchases' in iTunes on new computer and crossed fingers when warned all data on iPad would be deleted when I synced. All data transferred without having to re-download any apps from store. Thanks for advice from all of you.

Most reactions

Latest posts