What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Syncing Ipad on 2 different computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andygo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, had a quick nosey and couldn't find a solution..

I sync and transfer files via my main pc generally. I'm going on holiday for 3 weeks and will be taking my laptop and ipad 1. I want to sync my ipad and upload piccys/podcasts from my laptop to the ipad but it says my lappy is not authorised.

I am up to my 5 authorisation limit so it doesn't appear I can have 2 computers authorised to sync.

Is there a way around this please?

Sorry for being thick!

OP
A

Andygo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have the earlier pc's about any more to de authorise.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go into iTunes on the the computer (or laptop), and go to your account settings. You can do this either by clicking on your Apple ID at the top right, or through the Store menu and choose View My Account.

In the Apple ID Summary section you can see how many computers you have authorized. Since you have used up your 5 slots it should offer you the ability to Deauthorize All computers. Do this.

You will now need to go back into iTunes on both your desktop and laptop and authorize those machines again. It's under the Store menu.

You can only do this once every 12 months, so it is a good idea to de-authorize older computers when you stop using them, or before deinstalling iTunes, or reformatting the computer, or. . . well you get the idea.

This link may also be useful: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1202

Last edited:
OP
A

Andygo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brilliant. Easy when you know how...

Thanks

Andy

m3incorp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to add a question on to this. I just authorized my 2nd computer. Whenever I go to sync to this computer, I get a warning that the ipad can only be synced to one itunes at a time and asks says that syncing will erase the contents on the ipad and replace with the contents of the itunes library of the 2nd computer that I just authorized. This is not what I want to happen, what I want is for the ipad to transfer everything over to the itunes of the 2nd computer that I just authorized. Any help would be appreciated.

m3incorp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Answered my own question by following the link posted by Twerppoet and also turned on "home sharing" to stream from devices on my network.

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As I'm a good forum member who does a search as opposed to create a new thread, I am resurrecting this one. This is exactly what I plan to do, and yes, the now existent iCloud is how, as well as just one CD in my 2nd computer iTunes that I want to move over (although I can just burn the CD to my main desktop too which is easier at this point. On principle I want to try it first via transfer). My history of desktops has been PC's until 2004. Then iMac>Mini>Windows Touchscreen (current)
iMac works still but very slow and outdated with vertical line bleeds anyhow. Mini got sluggish and USB ports started failing. I've been wanting a touchscreen and fine, have Windows again, and do love having the touch capabilities. It plays just fine with my iOS devices. However, I also got as a present a Macbook I've always wanted, the ones white in color, 13.1 inches. All reconditioned, running Snow Leopard with 4GB RAM. Smooth, quick and slick. It goes to work with me and is my work laptop now. I'm looking to also have my iPhone and iPad linked to it just for updating apps quickly. Calendar goes through the Cloud, and music not worried about since it's linked to iTunes, and any purchases will show up, and can just be made OTA for that matter. So this is the answer. Now, this is for another thread-but I can't get my Macbook to even recognize my iPhone-doesn't show up at all but once, and never showed up again, but I will search threads. Apple support forums have been useless so far, but maybe there is some thread there too that is buried. So once I fix that problem (if I can that is), I'll be happily good to go on this issue.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This thread will now be closed based on age of thread.

With this-we will now close this thread. Thank you for your understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts