What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Synching with iphotos

carole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have just tried to synch my photos from iphotos on my iMac. None of my albums copied, but a few random events did. Kept trying with selected albums and whole iPhoto. No joy. I had to copy the photos I wanted from iphotos and paste them into pictures on my hard disc then sync from that folder. Long winded, time consuming and no albums. Why give the option to sync fro iphotos if it doesn't work and when will this problem be corrected?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you have the most recent updates for your version of iPhotos. There were some problems with syncing events with one or other of the versions of the latest iPhotos. I don't remember which.

I've neve tried syncing my entire iPhoto library. It's just too big, so I can't offer much advice beyond the above. The albums I create and sync, along with faces, work just fine.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Make sure you have the most recent updates for your version of iPhotos. There were some problems with syncing events with one or other of the versions of the latest iPhotos. I don't remember which.

I've neve tried syncing my entire iPhoto library. It's just too big, so I can't offer much advice beyond the above. The albums I create and sync, along with faces, work just fine.

I have just purchased my first iMac and I have a related question to iphoto 11' could I be cheeky and ask your advise?

Why doesn't iphoto maintain folder structure when you import? It just seems to lump them all together or puts then in event (date) order which isn't very useful. E.g. I have a folder called garden which contains folder for front, back, etc over a time period of a few months, but when imported it just lumps it into one event?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

CybrDuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It only goes one level deep in folders. I have about ten folders with pictures in my My Pictures folder. When I synch I get ten albums. One for each folder. Pics in subfolders are lumped under the root folder. It would be nice if the iPad had better photo software but i consider it just a photo carrier. My main photo work is done on the computer and I only transfer what I want here.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Harters said:
I have just purchased my first iMac and I have a related question to iphoto 11' could I be cheeky and ask your advise?

Why doesn't iphoto maintain folder structure when you import? It just seems to lump them all together or puts then in event (date) order which isn't very useful. E.g. I have a folder called garden which contains folder for front, back, etc over a time period of a few months, but when imported it just lumps it into one event?

It just doesn't. I don't think Apple envisioned people using the Photos app as more than a way to keep a few albums on the iPad to share with family and friends. A couple of versions ago you could not sync faces, events, and places. Whether they will continue to update it, or leave it up to third party apps to fill the gap is hard to say.

Another words, I don't know. :)

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
It just doesn't. I don't think Apple envisioned people using the Photos app as more than a way to keep a few albums on the iPad to share with family and friends. A couple of versions ago you could not sync faces, events, and places. Whether they will continue to update it, or leave it up to third party apps to fill the gap is hard to say.

Another words, I don't know. :)

Ok, thank you. At least now I know I'm not being thick :D Also thought it was odd that it duplicates all the photos too taking up valuable HDD space. Shame, as one of the reasons for buying the iMac was to be able to use all of the great products that they include as standard..... Fingers crossed when I go to use iMovie for my holiday DVD :)

I will have a try with Picasa..... Hopefully that still works the same way as the windows version ;-)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is an app for Picasa. It is called Web Albums for iPad. Don't use Picasa myself, but those that do say it's a good app.

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
There is an app for Picasa. It is called Web Albums for iPad. Don't use Picasa myself, but those that do say it's a good app.

Thanks for that.

I have been doing more research and I have found that I can create a 'referenced' iphoto album which instead of duplicating all my photos creates a link to the originals therefore saving HDD space. Now I have found that out I will have another go at importing them. I have renamed the nested folder the same as the top folder, but then added e.g. Florida 2011 & Florida 2011 Best so that will keep them in some kind of order.... I hope ;-)

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Ok. Good luck. Let us know if you get it working the way you want.

Think Im sorted now!

I have created folders, some nested and then imported my photos into them, so now iphoto basically replicates how I have my original photos in 'pictures'

I created a referenced iphoto library first so I'm not duplicating and taking up excess HDD space :)

Most reactions

Latest posts