What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sync with new imac

harryfence

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Just bought a new imac and want to sync my music from my ipad to my imac, but having trouble. Getting totally lost. It is transferring the music I bought from itunes but not the rest of it. I think. What am I doing wrong. It is doing my head in lol.

Cheers

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Music from CDs, ... can be synced from computer to iPad, not the other way. That's why your new iMac will only sync songs purchased in iTunes (iPad or old computer). If you want/need other songs on your new iMac as well, you'll have to use software, like Cefipx iDevice to Mac transfer or Wondershare Mobile go for iOS (Mac). A search for "iPad to iMac transfer" will certainly bring up many results. All you have to do is choose the one that matches your needs, install and use it.

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To expand on that if you have purchase music on your iPad from iTunes Store follow these instructions. The MOST important thing to do on a new Mac or PC is authorize the computer. Donot sync the iPad as you will loose all your music on the iPad.

Connect your device to the computer. If it is synced with another iTunes library, the following must be done.
Authorize your computer before preceding to avoid any issues
Click the Transfer Purchases button.
iTunes will begin copying any purchases made with any account for which the computer is authorized.

Note if you have a large collection this will take time so be patient.
If when you connect your device you are not prompted by the dialog above, it could be that the option "Do not ask me again" was previously selected. Fortunately, there are two more ways you can copy your purchases from your device.

After connecting your device to the computer and its icon appears in iTunes, go to the File menu, then Devices, and choose Transfer Purchases from "(Your device name)".

Or, you can Show Sidebar from the View menu, and then right-click (Windows or Mac) or Control-click (Mac only) your device in the iTunes Source list, then choose Transfer Purchases from the shortcut menu that appears.

Please note that this feature works only for items that were purchased on the iTunes Store. Any items imported from audio CDs or acquired from other sources will not copy from your device to the iTunes library.

OP
H

harryfence

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you for your replies, every kind. still not sure what happened, but getting there slowly. lol. just about got back to where i started, lol

Most reactions