What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swift can not be used on an iPad

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IOS-8 is the operating system for iPhones and iPads so why is Swift, Apples new programming language claimed as an IOS-8 feature when the feature can only be used on a Mac. ?
Does Apple intend to provide an App that will let Swift be used on an IPad running IOS-8 ?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have access to Swiftkey on my IPad Air using IOS 8--no problem. You need to download it, then go to settings/general/keyboards and add it. You must turn on full access for it all to work but in truth I just prefer the new native keyboard for the IPad but I'm a fast typer and good speller. I'm going to keep it as accessible keyboard for IPad to keep trying it but prefer Swype for IPhone 5S

OP
S

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have access to Swiftkey on my IPad Air using IOS 8--no problem. You need to download it, then go to settings/general/keyboards and add it. You must turn on full access for it all to work but in truth I just prefer the new native keyboard for the IPad but I'm a fast typer and good speller. I'm going to keep it as accessible keyboard for IPad to keep trying it but prefer Swype for IPhone 5S

Thanks Diane
But not sure that this is the answer. The SWIFT that I am after is the new programming language used to develop Apps. Can you point me to an App. that you have created using only your iPad Air ?
Steep

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Diane
But not sure that this is the answer. The SWIFT that I am after is the new programming language used to develop Apps. Can you point me to an App. that you have created using only your iPad Air ?
Steep
The Swift programming language used for developing iOS and Mac apps is not available for the iPad, it will only be available and useable on a Mac computer running OSX Yosemite as part of the latest version of Xcode. Here's some more info on it. https://developer.apple.com/swift/

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, read quickly and read Swiftkey instead of Swift. In case anyone ends up on this thread by searching for Swiftkey you can't use Swiftkey by swiping as in Swype on the IPad, only on IPhone.

OP
S

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Swift programming language used for developing iOS and Mac apps is not available for the iPad, it will only be available and useable on a Mac computer running OSX Yosemite as part of the latest version of Xcode. Here's some more info on it. https://developer.apple.com/swift/

Scifan57
That's the way I understand it. However Apple linked Swift to the release of IOS-8 giving the impression it would be functional on a device running that operating system. A bit of misleading advertising.
As a computer hobbiest I had hoped for a coding facility to be built into the iPad operating system.
Steep

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Scifan57
That's the way I understand it. However Apple linked Swift to the release of IOS-8 giving the impression it would be functional on a device running that operating system. A bit of misleading advertising.
As a computer hobbiest I had hoped for a coding facility to be built into the iPad operating system.
Steep

Apple linked Swift the release of iOS 8 because it was the WWDC keynote. While this event is widely streamed/viewed, it is for developers, not consumers. Both Swift and the new iOS 8 API's were major new tools for creating iOS apps.

So, they are linked, but only from a developer point of view. Swift is a new way to program for iOS, and iOS 8 has new features that you can use when programing in Swift. There was nothing in the keynote that suggested you'd be able to use Swift on the iPad or any other iOS device.

Context helps.

OP
S

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple linked Swift the release of iOS 8 because it was the WWDC keynote. While this event is widely streamed/viewed, it is for developers, not consumers. Both Swift and the new iOS 8 API's were major new tools for creating iOS apps.

So, they are linked, but only from a developer point of view. Swift is a new way to program for iOS, and iOS 8 has new features that you can use when programing in Swift. There was nothing in the keynote that suggested you'd be able to use Swift on the iPad or any other iOS device.

Context helps.

ok twerppoet so you are happy and know Apple and I am disappointed and new to Apple.
Do you think that the iPad should have in built coding capability for silver surfers like me who learned their computing on the old BBC Beeb and Risc OS ?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you want to code for fun, try Codea.

If you get good at it and want to put something on the App Store, it can be done; though you'll still need the use of a Mac, Xcode, and a developer's account.

There are several apps in the store that were created with Codea, like Crabitron and Cargo Bot.

The problem with having Xcode on the iPad is that it's a powerful tool. Even if the newest iPads could handle the load, and they might, if rather slowly, you would still have to completely redesign the interface; because Xcode is also very complex. There is no Xcode lite for casual users.

While Swift is meant to be easier for developers than Objective C, the best parts of it, like Playground, actually require more computing power. another reason you're unlikely to see Xcode or Swift on the iPad.

As for me being happy, well, I'd love to see Apple's development tools on the iPad. I just know enough not to expect them any time soon.

OP
S

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to code for fun, try Codea.

If you get good at it and want to put something on the App Store, it can be done; though you'll still need the use of a Mac, Xcode, and a developer's account.

There are several apps in the store that were created with Codea, like Crabitron and Cargo Bot.

The problem with having Xcode on the iPad is that it's a powerful tool. Even if the newest iPads could handle the load, and they might, if rather slowly, you would still have to completely redesign the interface; because Xcode is also very complex. There is no Xcode lite for casual users.

While Swift is meant to be easier for developers than Objective C, the best parts of it, like Playground, actually require more computing power. another reason you're unlikely to see Xcode or Swift on the iPad.

As for me being happy, well, I'd love to see Apple's development tools on the iPad. I just know enough not to expect them any time soon.

OP
S

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out codea. Seems a bit pricey but I'll give it a try. It may well restore my faith in the iPad following the disappointment after upgrading to IOS-8.
It's good to have someone acknowledge little knowledge and shoot straight from the hip.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're welcome. Let me know what you think of it, after you have played for a while. The help/documentation part of the app needs to be explored, and there are some online resources at their site.

I've only done a couple of very simple programs, basically the same simple programs I've done on every computer I've owned (except the Mac) since my Commordore 64.

OP
S

Steep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're welcome. Let me know what you think of it, after you have played for a while. The help/documentation part of the app needs to be explored, and there are some online resources at their site.

I've only done a couple of very simple programs, basically the same simple programs I've done on every computer I've owned (except the Mac) since my Commordore 64.

There's quite a bit to take in with Codea, I shan't be developing apps any time soon.
If 'Two Lives Left/ReefWing Software' can creat 'Codea' on an iPad usig Lua why can't 'Apple' do a similar thing with Swipe ? Perhaps 'ReefWing Software' will do it for them.
I can't see that capacity should be a problem when back in 82 the old Beeb had just 32kb of ram and came alive with BBC Basic computer language as a must and two guys from Cambridge developed 'Elite' on it.

Most reactions

Latest posts