What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sudden return to home page

EmileBlu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Over the past two weeks while on various apps or sites our iPad1 suddendly returns to the home (iPad opening) page. What is wrong and can I correct this periodic issue?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are running low on memory. First thing, double click the home button, long press one of the icons in the multitask bar, I'm betting there will be quite a few to choose from. When they start to jiggle press each one in turn to close them.

Once you've done that, it wouldn't hurt to do a reboot. Press and hold home and standby buttons together until the Apple logo appears then release them. After about a minute, the iPad will restart and all should be well.

cpttango30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man only a few weeks. Mine does this since iOS 5 (I call it iOS Vista) came out. It is to the point not that it is almost useless. I am at a point now of selling it the bad thing is the ipad 2 are going to flood the market and drive the price of my ipad to rock bottom.

OP
E

EmileBlu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like you are running low on memory. First thing, double click the home button, long press one of the icons in the multitask bar, I'm betting there will be quite a few to choose from. When they start to jiggle press each one in turn to close them.

Once you've done that, it wouldn't hurt to do a reboot. Press and hold home and standby buttons together until the Apple logo appears then release them. After about a minute, the iPad will restart and all should be well.

Thank you so much. I was amazed to find so many apps down there. Help me better understand why the apps move there? Is ther something we are not doing correctly during our everyday use?

Again, thank you.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
EmileBlu said:
Thank you so much. I was amazed to find so many apps down there. Help me better understand why the apps move there? Is ther something we are not doing correctly during our everyday use?

Again, thank you.

No there is nothing you aren't doing correctly. Once you open an app this is where it goes, kind of like a waiting area should you wish to use this app again and while they are here they are still using some ram. It is a good idea to close these apps completely which is what Kevin had you do and thus this will free up more ram. I do mine every night, it's a little housekeeping for your iPad to keep it running smoothly. If you do have a problem with an app and apps do play up from time to time, the first step is always to close it completely and then relaunch it. I hope this helps you to better understand.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
cpttango30 said:
Man only a few weeks. Mine does this since iOS 5 (I call it iOS Vista) came out. It is to the point not that it is almost useless. I am at a point now of selling it the bad thing is the ipad 2 are going to flood the market and drive the price of my ipad to rock bottom.

The reason this happens is because an iPad 1 has 256 mb of ram whereas the ipad2 has 512mb. To keep your iPad running smoothly it is essential that you do a little housekeeping on it to minimize and even to stop having issues with crashing.
I'll give you some tips to achieve this. Do you use location services? This service uses ram and it is a good idea to keep these services to a minimum. Open apps which are sitting in your multi task bar are all taking up ram, so if you're not using an app for the foreseeable future close it down completely. I close all my apps every night. Safari can use huge amounts of ram depending on the sites visited and also keeps bits of data from all these sites. Go into your Safari Settings and clear out your cookies and delete your history. Now hit the advanced tab at the bottom and then website data, this will show you all the sites you've been to, you can also clear this out.
Apps are only getting bigger nowadays with new technology releases and this is why older technology starts to suffer as it can't cope with the advancements. Once you've done all that, it would be a good idea to now reset your iPad. Good luck

Most reactions

Latest posts