What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stream from iPad to tv

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

Is there a way to stream videos to my tv from my iPad without cables?

I have a stock iPad (no jailbreak). Looking to be able to send videos like DVDs that I put on my iPad with handbrake to my tv. Is it possible? I have a ps3 can it be done with that or do i need something else?

I have been looking at the apple tv but so far it looks to me that with apple tv you can only stream content from iTunes.

Thanks,
Tom

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably not. How does your TV get it's other content?

I purchase the component kit and any video I play on the iPad goes out the cable and into my DVD/VCR, and from there to the TV. Sixty bucks less that the Apple TV.

SBHOKC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"I have been looking at the apple tv but so far it looks to me that with apple tv you can only stream content from iTunes."

This is correct. I have a PS3 as well and have not heard of way to do what you are describing.

appsmonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
appsmonkey.com
Use the Airplay button

Any app that has the Airplay button can stream audio and/or video to your Apple TV. Not all the apps have it (I don't have a list of those that do), but the YouTube app, for example, has it. The Photos app also has it and can stream your photos as a slideshow on your TV. The Airplay button looks like this:

photo-airplay.jpg

OP
M

motsco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wonder why the video app that came with the iPad dosnt have airplay? I would rather stream video to my tv then pictures.

So I guess most of us will have to wait for an app that would stream anything we wanted from or iPad to our tv?

Thanks for the info

T

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I updated my iPad software last month, but I do not see the airplay icon/ button on video play back nor on my photos! Is there something I need to do to activate it?

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to get what is called a Second Generation AppleTV.

I do not believe that you need your iTunes on or even your computer on. I have had my iMac OFF and am able to still watch my iPad movies on my TV.

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to get what is called a Second Generation AppleTV.

I do not believe that you need your iTunes on or even your computer on. I have had my iMac OFF and am able to still watch my iPad movies on my TV.
Can you explain that to me? What I'm saying is that the airplay icon doesn't show up on my iPad anywhere. Will the second generation apple tv work with my iPad if I can't seem tobturn airplay at all?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are not going to get that icon unless you have an Apple TV second generation and it is on and on the same network. There is no point to displaying the icon if you don't have something with which to use it.

Of course if you did have an ATV you could already access your iTunes content on it. So if your iPad is getting its video content via iTunes it can be pointless to then use the iPad to stream to ATV. My iPad only has a small subset of what is in my iTunes library so I rarely need to to stream from the iPad.

Michael

howell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The newest version of iOS 5 supports iPad to Apple TV mirroring. I've heard mixed information about whether or not audio streams also. Looks promising.

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, this means that you actually need to buy an ATV to be able to AirPlay music from my iPad to my receiver (Denon AVR-1912) which is AirPlay compatible. With IOS 4 this was possible by clicking an icon. Without any ATV...

//Stefan ☕

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, this means that you actually need to buy an ATV to be able to AirPlay music from my iPad to my receiver (Denon AVR-1912) which is AirPlay compatible. With IOS 4 this was possible by clicking an icon. Without any ATV...

//Stefan ☕

That's not supposed to be how it works...if you have an Airplay compatible device, you should be able to stream to it. But you need both devices to be on your home network. The same goes for the ATV.

Most reactions

Latest posts