What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watching TV/Movie from an app that is not Airplay video enabled... A tip!

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Having an Apple TV is great for watching tv and movies on the tv set. When your app has been developed to support AirPlay video so you can stream the content to your Apple TV, it's just great...

Some apps, related to broadcasters, or media content have great stuff but you cannot stream it to your Apple TV, it's a bit frustrating...

Don't worry, I have a little tip that may work in some cases. Before opening your app tp watch a movie, open another app that is supporting the AirPlay video stream to your Apple TV. Let it play for a full minute to be sure. Then, close the app without stopping the stream. Normally, the streaming will stop on your Apple TV.

Start your non-compatible Airplay video app and select the video you want to see. Don't put it in fullscreen, it seems to help that way... As soon as the video stream will start on your iPad, the stream should be redirected to your Apple TV.

It does not work with every app or even with every video, but I've been watching a lot of content on my tv set this way. Some apps will show ads during the streaming. Strangely, the ads will play on the iPad, but the stream will play on the Apple TV.

So far, I had success with Stickam, CitiTV Video and a few others in the past... I use Justin.tv to initiate the Airplay video. Seems to work everytime...

Let me know if it worked for you...

VicoPad addict!

Last edited:
OP
DrHouse

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Oh, I forgot to say that I do it on the iPad 1, latest iOS, no jailbreak involved...

VicoPad addict!

Most reactions

Latest posts