What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storing Photos to Free Up Ipad

underwater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
My Ipad 3 is becoming full.I have lots of photos in photos & photo stream-
not all the same.I cannot get my head around how to use Icloud to save
and store them and then delete from the Ipad.Do not want to lose any!
Advice greatly appreciated.
Jan

Richard Webb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad you asked this question I would also like to know the answer

gkinghrn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assume you have a PC .. Back them up there... Don't Sync ALL your photos back to it ... Sometimes you need to manage things yourself.... It's not complicated... An IPad isn't a storage device....

Richard Webb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think we all realise the iPad is not a storage device that's why the question was asked how to you get them to iCloud storage also that we can free up our iPads I have been able to get some of my photo stream to iCloud but cannot move photos onto my photo stream any ideas

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
U

underwater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gk... thanks for your patronising non help.Not!!
I know it's not a storage device thank you very
much!
I bought some extra icloud space is all and looking
fr some advice on how to move my ipad photos there to free
up space on my Ipad and at the same time be able to bring
them back to the Ipad when I wish to view them.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
My Ipad 3 is becoming full.I have lots of photos in photos & photo stream-
not all the same.I cannot get my head around how to use Icloud to save
and store them and then delete from the Ipad.Do not want to lose any!
Advice greatly appreciated.
Jan

G' day underwater, to backup your photos to iCloud, create an account, if you have not already done so. ie tap Settings>iCloud>Account. Tap Storage and then Backup by sliding "iCloud Backup" to On. You will have 5 gigs to start and more at a price. EDIT: sorry, overlooked the fact you have already got an Account.
Once backed up, you can delete whichever photos you want. Go to your photos and tap each photo you want to delete and choose Delete. You need to tap each individual photo - can be a bit tedious. (Are you listening Mr Apple?)
Deletion like this from your iPad will not delete what you have backed up to iCloud. To sync future photos on your iPad to iCloud, slide iCloud Storage and Backup to On.
All the best, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a similar issue and it all got too complicated, in the end I opted to just plug it into a friends PC (I don't use one myself) the dcim folder then opened separate to iTunes, and I just select all and drag them to an external hard drive. I hear photo stream only keeps your photos for so long and I didn't want to risk losing any of them. I found my solution to be straight forward with no headaches. But I would say if you can back them up twice on separate drives, do so. I did this once a few months back and it was so lucky I did because I dropped one of the drives and broken it, but I had two 500gb hard drives and luckily I had them all backed up twice. I have over 3000 photos.
Hope you find something that works for you.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
I had a similar issue and it all got too complicated, in the end I opted to just plug it into a friends PC (I don't use one myself) the dcim folder then opened separate to iTunes, and I just select all and drag them to an external hard drive. I hear photo stream only keeps your photos for so long and I didn't want to risk losing any of them. I found my solution to be straight forward with no headaches. But I would say if you can back them up twice on separate drives, do so. I did this once a few months back and it was so lucky I did because I dropped one of the drives and broken it, but I had two 500gb hard drives and luckily I had them all backed up twice. I have over 3000 photos.
Hope you find something that works for you.

This - there are plenty of apps on both the windows and osx side that will allow you to view the iPad as a connected drive, then, head into the DCIM folder and move them to the computer. On the osx side, I use PhoneDisk. It is very easy. One thing, only make changes in the DCIM folder, do not do anything else in any other folder.

OP
U

underwater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to posters for advice re
saving to pc/external hdd.
That is straightforward.
What baffles me then is just what
is the extra space on icloud for then?!!
I purchased extra thinking I could use it
to save my ipad photos there and free up
local space on my ipad(as well as backing them up
to a hdd which I have now done) and have facility
to move them back and forth between icloud and ipad
without needing to use a pc/laptop. Is that not
possible?
Jan

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Using the iPad as a camera requires a different workflow than using a camera. It is due to the iPad being a computer (it is, by definition). you have to change your mindset. If you are going to use the iPad and the iCloud, you will want to get really familiar with PhotoStream and the sharing of albums in PhotoStream for other to see. If you just want to use it as a camera, then you will need to use a PC to transfer the photos off the iPad, just like you do a camera. I took a trip to the Smoky Mountains a while back and only took my iPhone to see what the workflow would be. I normally carry a large rig consisting of 4 lenses and to camera bodies. I wanted to see if the iPhone would suffice for short trips. I ended up using PhoneDisk and treated my iPhone as if it were one of my other cameras when I got back and it worked great.

As for the extra space, never know if you will need it. I got extra space on my iCloud because I have 2 devices connecting to it and my backups are larger than the 5GB you get for free.

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'll post what I do, because it seems radically different to most Apple users :)

Coming from an an Android background, where there is no such thing as an iTunes or iCloud backup & where to restore a device you need to do things manually having first remembered to create backups of your own data (photos, documents etc) first means that I look at things differently.

I am fully post PC & have no laptop or desktop computer to use iTunes on. Therefore all my backups are done via iCloud. Now, in my mind there is no need to back up all the apps I use - thereby creating very large backups that will soon get bigger than the free space allowed as the App Store remembers all the apps I have used or bought and allows a free reinstall of them if I need to. My backups are therefore restricted to my browser app for its bookmarks & any games I play in order not to loose the progress I have in them.

When it comes to photos, IMO the Camera Roll is a poorly coded joke. It doesn't use long file names & is not flexible enough for my needs. All my documents, photos & home movies are stored on my NAS & I use the app FileBrowser to access them & view them streamed from my NAS drive. Using that app I can categorise documents, PDFs, e books, photos etc on the NAS & if I wish to have a selection of them on my iPad I can copy them into the FileBrowser app, locally on my iPad, into a nice folder structure that matches my convenience.

All my e-books are stored in this way, categorised as I want them. I can open them in iBooks, read them & then delete them from iBooks when I have read them. They are available to be reopened at any time.

All my photos are stored in this way, too. As are my home videos. :) FileBrowser allows direct viewing of jpgs, mp4s, PDFs, docs - pretty much any file format that iOS recognises. In addition it allows direct copying of any photos I may wish to place there into the Camera Roll - or the other way round should I ave taken any photos using the iPad.

In other words, rather than replying on Apple and their iCloud for large quantities of data that will take quite a while to upload & restore when necessary, I created my own personal cloud storage that is only accessible by our household & which is quick to access as it does so at the maximum speed of the wifi connection, somewhere around 62mbs.

Hope this helps the OP & others to consider alternative methods that are both inexpensive, reliable, fast & cross platform friendly. A simple external HDD can cost as little as $50 & would give you 500gb of personal cloud storage. For a little more money you could have terabytes of space. Organised as you wish & accessible to any device connected to your router.

You can read lots of help on NAS & the iPad, here...Network Attached Storage (NAS)

Last edited:

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a modified Cloud NAS system to store and share my photos, video and other content with the family & friends located around the US. As others have mentioned, the file system on iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) is not that good to manage files. It's hard to manage "sync" photos and delete or organize them into orders, other than just plop them into a folder and view photos sequentially or randomly. You computer is a much better device to organize and backup content, but it is not with you when you are out and about.

I use a Cloud NAS solution called PogoPlug. The basic PogoPlug box (around $50) will take a USB 2.0 external hard drive (any capacity you want) and then make it available on the Cloud. If you have this at home, then you use your computer to upload, manage photos, video, music files over your home WiFi. Your iPad can access the PogoPlug NAS files fast over WiFi at home, but when you are away, you use your ISP Internet to deliver the content to you "streaming" from your home based hard drive. PogoPlug will maintain a Cloud directory of your content and manage access control. So you can easily invite friends via email to access your files (like read only), and they will need to setup a PogoPlug account login (on the Cloud). Your content is indexed and the index is stored on the Cloud, so you can browse the directory in the sky very quickly while you are away. Then when you request access, it will start to stream over WiFi or Cellular data 3G/4G. If you ISP upload speed is decent, then it works pretty fast, but if you have a slow DSL internet, it will not move high resolution photos or video very well.

The advantage of this approach is that it allows you very fast access on your home WiFi. The NAS (Network Attached Storage) hard drive is whatever device you want to use, and whatever size you want. Very easy and cheap to upgrade and you don't pay a monthly charge for storage per se (they do have a Cloud storage monthly fee option, that you can use if you have a slow DSL connection at home). If you use FIOS or have a fast Cable ISP Internet, then your own hard drives work pretty well, pretty fast. You can share with multiple mobile devices and with friends and family who access via PCs & Macs as well. Virtually unlimited storage, easily 1000 GB to share with multiple devices.

You can search for PogoPlug Series 4 for their faster USB 3.0 box. USB 3.0 drives are popular today and are faster than USB 2.0. You can get large capacity drive and grow more storage as you need. There is a PogoPlug application for iPad and iPhone, also a version for Android, so you can use these clients to access you content. As for servers, there is the black box (PogoPlug Series 4), or even a PC Server version, to run on your home PC and share files. So check it out.

OP
U

underwater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to last two posters for in depth
suggestions.
NAS is a whole new path which I will
explore.

Richard Webb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have also read these threads about NAS and have been looking into it. It seems like a great idea even if a bit expensive bit there will be no need to pay a yearly subscription which is a bonus and also being able to let the rest of the family use this storage will another saving. The iPad is great but obviously expensive, mind you I could not do without it now

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions