What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spelling Checker - Auto Correction

jizkid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It becomes worse and worse the spelling checker in 4.3.3. it is very hard to type one sentence without a, by the spelling checker, changed word which you did not mean to type. Especially the "splitting" words feature is a major annoyance.
Please apple correct only single words, otherwise I will be force to finally switch the spelling checker to completely off. On my iPhone that is already the case.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does get annoying. I wish you could turn off the word replacement but not the red underline. So it would still underline and I could tap on the word and it comes up with some suggestions and I select the one I want.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It does get annoying. I wish you could turn off the word replacement but not the red underline. So it would still underline and I could tap on the word and it comes up with some suggestions and I select the one I want.

Hey, grayshark95:

Since you are jailbroken (and mentioned you would like this ability) - I'll jump into this thread to tell you there is a Cydia app called Inspell that'll let you do this very thing. It won't autocorrect your miss-typings, but it will underline words it (1) doesn't have in the dictionary or (2) that are misspelled.

When you press once on the underlined word, you'll get a pop-up with some words offered as corrections. You'll also get an option (in that same pop-up) to add the word you typed to the dictionary.

You can also ignore the red underline or even set it up to autocorrect, just like the default.

It's very handy, very customizable and works in many apps (so far, I haven't found one it doesn't work in...). It also comes with the ability to add a toggle to SBSettings should you ever wish to turn it on/off.

IMNSHO, Inspell is awesome and is just the little helpful touch that Apple left out of the default spell-checker. It's $3.99 (USD) in Cydia. Worth every penny to me! Of course, YMMV.

Marilyn

P.S. Sorry I interrupted this thread, cause Inspell is for jailbroken iPads only ... just wanted people with JB iPads to know about this tweak.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Hey, grayshark95:

Since you are jailbroken (and mentioned you would like this ability) - I'll jump into this thread to tell you there is a Cydia app called Inspell that'll let you do this very thing. It won't autocorrect your miss-typings, but it will underline words it (1) doesn't have in the dictionary or (2) that are misspelled.

When you press once on the underlined word, you'll get a pop-up with some words offered as corrections. You'll also get an option (in that same pop-up) to add the word you typed to the dictionary.

You can also ignore the red underline or even set it up to autocorrect, just like the default.

It's very handy, very customizable and works in many apps (so far, I haven't found one it doesn't work in...). It also comes with the ability to add a toggle to SBSettings should you ever wish to turn it on/off.

IMNSHO, Inspell is awesome and is just the little helpful touch that Apple left out of the default spell-checker. It's $3.99 (USD) in Cydia. Worth every penny to me! Of course, YMMV.

Marilyn

P.S. Sorry I interrupted this thread, cause Inspell is for jailbroken iPads only ... just wanted people with JB iPads to know about this tweak.

OMG!!!!!! Thank you! :)

You could have PM Ed me if you didn't want to hijack the thread.

imgarret

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just a rant

I've just gotta say...for all the praise that is heaped upon Apple, since getting my Ipad2 (first Apple product), I'm kind of surprised how glaring some of their errors are. This is a perfect example. You can't turn off auto correction without it turning off spell checking. It doesn't make sense .... any way you look at it. On top of that, it doesn't do a very good job. If you aren't really careful you could end up with some very embarrassing e-mails. When I use my Ipad for work I'm so scared I proof multiple times before hitting send.
To make it worse this awful set up has survived a major software update, and a whole generation change from Ipad 1 to 2. It's simply mind boggling.
I'm not the worlds best speller so this is a major annoyance.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
imgarret said:
I've just gotta say...for all the praise that is heaped upon Apple, since getting my Ipad2 (first Apple product), I'm kind of surprised how glaring some of their errors are. This is a perfect example. You can't turn off auto correction without it turning off spell checking. It doesn't make sense .... any way you look at it. On top of that, it doesn't do a very good job. If you aren't really careful you could end up with some very embarrassing e-mails. When I use my Ipad for work I'm so scared I proof multiple times before hitting send.
To make it worse this awful set up has survived a major software update, and a whole generation change from Ipad 1 to 2. It's simply mind boggling.
I'm not the worlds best speller so this is a major annoyance.

It just makes me mad when I type a word and it is so close to the word I intended, even just one letter off, but it replaces it with a totally different word.

Most reactions

Latest posts