What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speed test Ipad vs iphone3gs

Pogi-pad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SPEEDTEST.NET app

Speed test using WIFI on ipad and Iphone 3gs
ipad.jpg iphone.jpg

(LEFT) Ipad Upload : 519 Kbps
(RIGHT) Iphone Upload : 971 Kbps

Last edited:

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why don't your pictures include both bezel and table? Context or it didn't happen :p .

Do it side by side. Was that supposed to be average, what is the wireless router? What is the allowed upload speed from the network they were on? You offer blurry pictures and no information.

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also the tests need to be conducted separately and with a larger sampling. And how are you ensuring you don't have other devices using the Internet connection during the tests?

OP
P

Pogi-pad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why don't your pictures include both bezel and table? Context or it didn't happen :p .

Do it side by side. Was that supposed to be average, what is the wireless router? What is the allowed upload speed from the network they were on? You offer blurry pictures and no information.

Opps sorry, I just did a quicky print screen shot from each of the devices.

I'm using att uverse wireless 2wire router. Not sure what my allowed upload speed is from my network.
I just basically down loaded both apps on each device, set my iphone to wireless and hit the test button ( did it twice) just to see if it would come close.
Sorry for the poor pix, not sure how make them bigger/clearer.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for doing the test. What might be more empirical is to do the same test alternating between the iPhone and iPad 10 times and record the values.

iPhone Test, iPad Test, iPhone Test, iPad Test, etc.. until you do each one 10 times.

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those tests can vary greatly (by time, person, location, device, traffic, etc...)

For example I just tested on both my iPhone and iPad and here are my results:

speedIphone.jpg

speedIpad.png

My download speed was TWICE as fast on the iPad as it was on the iPhone and just slightly slower uploading on the iPad compared to the iPhone.

Something I just noticed though... the iPhone takes screenshots in JPG while the iPad takes screenshots in PNG. I never knew that 'till testing this. You learn something new every day. =)

OP
P

Pogi-pad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for doing the test. What might be more empirical is to do the same test alternating between the iPhone and iPad 10 times and record the values.

iPhone Test, iPad Test, iPhone Test, iPad Test, etc.. until you do each one 10 times.

Your right. I'll try that and document it. and hopefully post better picutures :eek:.

OP
P

Pogi-pad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those tests can vary greatly (by time, person, location, device, traffic, etc...)

For example I just tested on both my iPhone and iPad and here are my results:

speedIphone.jpg

speedIpad.png

My download speed was TWICE as fast on the iPad as it was on the iPhone and just slightly slower uploading on the iPad compared to the iPhone.

Something I just noticed though... the iPhone takes screenshots in JPG while the iPad takes screenshots in PNG. I never knew that 'till testing this. You learn something new every day. =)

Wow that blows speed out of the water. BTW nice pictures :)

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks pogi-pad and brobar for posting your test results!

Which version of iPhone do you guys have? (2G, 3G, 3GS)

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the 3GS use 802.11n? I thought it only went up to .11g? If your router can be put in 802.11n only mode give that a try and see if you get any change.

Try running in 2x mode on the iPad and screen capture. That may help with the iPad image at least.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
No need to test, lol

iphone 3g and 3gs = 802.11G
iPad = 802.11N

ipad wifi = faster than iPhone.

for those that didnt get faster speeds, were you using them both on a wireless G router? Wireless N router will give better speeds to the iPad.

you then also have to deal with the speeds and reliability of your ISP. you could perform the speed test from the same PC or device and get different speeds each time depending on the ISP, data caps, equipment, and network congestion.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts