What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something unstable about new JB

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've installed Ifile VLC and mobileterminal from Cydia, but the icons keep being replaced with generic white icons with designs and when I launch the files, the startup screen displays briefly but then it goes away. I've had to reinstall 3 times, but this keeps happening.

It seems like very little is actually working with the J.B.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've installed Ifile VLC and mobileterminal from Cydia, but the icons keep being replaced with generic white icons with designs and when I launch the files, the startup screen displays briefly but then it goes away. I've had to reinstall 3 times, but this keeps happening.

It seems like very little is actually working with the J.B.

Try removing VLC. The VLC on Cydia has not been updated in years and is probably the cause for the errors and odd icons you have. The Cydia VLC was abandoned after a version was released in the AppStore (which is free and, IMO, works better).

So, really, it's not the jailbreak. It's more that putting old stuff (or at least, stuff not updated for iOS 7) onto the iOS 7-running iPad. You'll get conflicts and errors if you do.

Always ensure you load fully updated and well-running tweaks. It'll help cut down on the issues.

Marilyn

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Make sure you have Cydia Substrate 0.9.5000 installed. If possible, install a tweak that enables for respringing and respring your device whenever the event occurs

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try removing VLC. The VLC on Cydia has not been updated in years and is probably the cause for the errors and odd icons you have. The Cydia VLC was abandoned after a version was released in the AppStore (which is free and, IMO, works better).

So, really, it's not the jailbreak. It's more that putting old stuff (or at least, stuff not updated for iOS 7) onto the iOS 7-running iPad. You'll get conflicts and errors if you do.

Always ensure you load fully updated and well-running tweaks. It'll help cut down on the issues.

Marilyn

Marilyn,

As always, thanks for the advice. But I have to disagree with you regarding VLC. The "New" version is a downgrade. See my last post here:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/118000-who-can-i-contact-get-vlc-updated-cydia-store.html

I figured out where to copy a video to get it to play in the new "official" Apple App Store VLC player. The problem is that when I play the movie, it looks like CRAP. The video is horribly pixelated. Some parts of the screen often show as large white boxes instead of the intended display. The old VLC version plays the same movie perfectly. I'll just have to take the time to set the iPad's auto-lock feature to "never" when watching movies and to set it back to five minutes when finished.

I'm suspecting that the instability I posted about might have resulted from another Cydia App that was crashing the iPad, but can't be 100% sure. I'd rather not name it now, but I have been in contact with the vendor who will update it. The situation got a little weirder: I rebooted the iPad and saw that the icons had now completely disappeared - However, Cydia claimed that they were still installed, so I completely uninstalled them. A minor note to this: Unfortunately iPads are taking on Windows features. The Cydia uninstall process left some iFile (Bookmarks.plist and Shortcuts.plist) files laying around. That's disappointing -an "uninstall" should uninstall everything. I've since reinstalled Cydia VLC and haven't had problems since. I'll later reinstall mobileterminal and iFile (In the original post, I neglected to mention that I had the same issue with this as well). I'll report back in a few days to state whether I continue to have issues.

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Make sure you have Cydia Substrate 0.9.5000 installed. If possible, install a tweak that enables for respringing and respring your device whenever the event occurs

Yes - I do have the latest Cydia Substrate installed.

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have seen the same thing happen with the f.lux and Barrel icons... Sometimes they even disappear completely until I reboot/respring.

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If possible, install a tweak that enables for respringing and respring your device whenever the event occurs

Since SBSettings is not up to par, yet, do you have a recommendation for a tweak like that that is iOS7-compatible?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since SBSettings is not up to par, yet, do you have a recommendation for a tweak like that that is iOS7-compatible?

Several Control Center tweaks allows for custom toggles and such. Respringing is also a possible flipswitch for Control Center. RAM display on the statusBar can be emulated by using Status Modifier. Power options have to be replaced with Activator gestures. Freeing RAM can be done with SBPowerAlert

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
With my last Jailbreak I was able to open mobileterminal and manually launch the respring process, but right now, I can't find any files on the device named respring. When I figure it out, I'll let you know.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Add the below repo and install Bootstrap.

http://cydia.myrepospace.com/willerz2/

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Still unstable -I lost Mobile terminal again - Generic White Icon - It launches for a second then goes away. After a hard reboot, Icon is gone but Cydia still claims it is installed.

So far, the only 100% stable tweak has been Open SSH - I have had no problems WinScping in.

Most reactions

Latest posts