What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skyfire "sells out" In a Matter of Hours

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp7RtJROjtE[/ame]​

Skyfire, the Internet browser app that enables you to watch Flash videos on your iPhone and iPad, was launched early last night and caused a sensation. Aside from being a worldwide trending topic on Twitter, once Skyfire hit the App Store, it quickly rose to the top of the paid app charts. However, later in the evening, Skyfire suddenly disappeared from the App Store, and a quick visit to the official Skyfire website revealed that the app was "sold out". Of course, an app can't actually sell out like goods in a real store can, but the message on the site explained that the app had proved to be so wildly popular that people using it to watch Flash videos had crashed the servers. Therefore the app has been temporarily withdrawn from sale until the server issue can be repaired, and the company can be sure that it can handle so many users without crashing again. And of course what the overwhelming demand for Skyfire also shows is how much people want to watch Flash videos on their iPads and iPhones, and how Apple really should have sorted it out itself by now.

Source: Skyfire

MrLee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reviews Not Good

Went to buy it (it was still available) but after reading the poor reviews, I've held off....

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"Apple really should have sorted it out itself by now".

Tsk tsk Maura, don't reopen the dead flash wars again, but check the recent reviews of the new MacBook Airs.
Several sites have commented how battery life is seriously reduced using a lot of flash animations. I for one believe they made the right decision.....

skatealex2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Apple really should have sorted it out itself by now".

Tsk tsk Maura, don't reopen the dead flash wars again, but check the recent reviews of the new MacBook Airs.
Several sites have commented how battery life is seriously reduced using a lot of flash animations. I for one believe they made the right decision.....

Not that it is the biggest deal but I think if anything they should give you the option to turn flash on or off.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I honestly don't see all the hoopla over this app.

I got it while it was still available and am very unimpressed. Not because servers were/are hammered... the app itself seems clunky and prone to crash. Doesn't feel "responsive" and the only thing I cared about was the occasional facebook video that I cannot play on iPhone or iPad. Well this app doesn't seem to play it either. So for me it was a fail.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh yea I also am not happy that my facebook login info was sent out to skyfire's servers. Someone who accessed a google site via skywire was notified by gmail that there account was logged in from New York, presumably the location of skyfire's servers.

The fact that the servers crashed does not make me any more comfortable. lol

HarlyFan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh yea I also am not happy that my facebook login info was sent out to skyfire's servers. Someone who accessed a google site via skywire was notified by gmail that there account was logged in from New York, presumably the location of skyfire's servers.

The fact that the servers crashed does not make me any more comfortable. lol

Good to know, disappointed to hear!!!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just gave it another try and it still wouldn't play what I wanted. I could search for something using it's little search for flash video feature but I was hoping I could use it for anything that I needed to try.

Hate to be a debbie downer but my latest peeve is it has no forward button when browsing. Hit back by mistake? Too bad, you are stuck there! lol

Michael

alnlui

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't find it at apple store. Where can I download? Thanks.

ChIpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would love it, I am one of the flashers LOL so to speak!! But I will also hold off, I do not want to worry about my info being used by other people, that is a little unnerving, so for now, I can wait it out till something better comes out in app store, or they fix their issues.

Most reactions

Latest posts