What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Kids learn Latin?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
From the list. You've got to love this.

ad astra per alas porci -- to the stars on the wings of a pig

A favorite saying of John Steinbeck. A professor told him that he would be an author when pigs flew. Every book he wrote is printed with this insignia.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that Latin is very useful.
It helped me with some of the French words, when I learned it at school. When I see Italian words, I can manage to understand a few of them, even a little Spanish. When my son mentions chemical expressions, I'm able to derive them from the Latin I still remember. My children never learned Latin. Yet my son often mentions it would have been easier for him if he'd had the chance to do so.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet, I just looked at your list. "Romanes eunt domus" is on it!!! With an appropriate explanation, of course. No sign of "illigitimi non carborundum" though... :)

Bottom line: knowing some Latin is quite useful, as well as fun. Speaking Latin, however, is possibly the nerdiest thing you could do.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Speaking Latin, however, is possibly the nerdiest thing you could do.

It might be a tie with people who learn imaginary languages based on alien cultures from Star Trek, lol. Or maybe languages from Tolkien's Middle Earth.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
twerppoet, I just looked at your list. "Romanes eunt domus" is on it!!! With an appropriate explanation, of course. No sign of "illigitimi non carborundum" though... :)

Bottom line: knowing some Latin is quite useful, as well as fun. Speaking Latin, however, is possibly the nerdiest thing you could do.

:)

It's there, just not in the first column. Look under "nolite . . ." Apparently it's considered a variation. I found it by doing a find on page search for carborundorum.

Edit: Oops, apparently the latin word is close enough to the english to get censored. My apologies. I've left enough information to find the quote.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It might be a tie with people who learn imaginary languages based on alien cultures from Star Trek, lol. Or maybe languages from Tolkien's Middle Earth.

No, speaking fictional languages is WAY nerdier than spouting Latin. I'd forgotten just how strange sci-fi fandom can be.

Twerppoet's list is missing one, though: "Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem" (Don't force it, get a bigger hammer). Legend has it that when Pompeii was unearthed, archaeologists found this inscription on the wall over the workbench of a chariot repair shop; it's been the motto of vehicular mechanics ever since. (post if you remember the origin of that story)

Last edited:

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
You probably know more Latin than you think. It's scattered throughout the English language. Do any of these look familiar?

[*]caveat emptor
[*]et cetera
[*]ad hoc
[*]ad nauseam
[*]in vino veritas
[*]vice versa
[*]via
[*]veni, vidi, vici (classic)
[*]semper fidelis (Marine's Moto)
[*]quorum
[*]pro bono
[*]prima facie
[*]per se
[*]per diem
[*]per capita
[*]non sequitur
[*]mea culpa (what I'll say if I've made any mistakes here)
[*]magnum opus
[*]ipso facto
[*]in vivo
[*]in vitro
[*]in situ
[*]habeas corpus
[*]et tu, Brute? (Shakespeare, anyone?)
[*]e pluribus unum (you really should know this one)
[*]de facto
[*]curriculum vitae (you'll learn this one)
[*]bona fide
[*]alma mater
[*]alter ego
[*]alibi
[*]agenda
[*]affidavit
[*]ad astra (all SciFi nuts know (or should know) this one)
[*]

I admit to cheating here. I'd be hard pressed to come up with a list this long off the top of my head. I consulted a (very long) list on Wikipedia. However, I only chose the ones that I both knew what they meant and consider to be in common use. Of course, I read a lot, so what I consider common use might be a bit wider in scope than those that prefer different vices, or have not been at the vice as long as I.

Last one is actually "per aspera ad astra" - through the roughness to the beer!...- our motto when it came to finishing school...

image-3464303127.jpg

Latin is the mother of the roman languages, and definitely helps when learning new languages. Thanks to latin my spanish went pretty smooth...

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
If we were to get rid of Latin for the reason "it's a dead language" then lets not bother with Religeous Education (RE) unless your gonna be a preist or nun, or sport if your not going to be a footballer etc.

Me personally, I found Latin very interesting, it is the base and the scaffold of the modern day language, as for RE, it gets me through some of the darkest days in life. Just because we don't think something is nescassary at the time of learning, doesn't mean that somewhere down the long road we call life it won't become useful to recall something we have stored in our meaty computer!

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Brother's school has Latin as a Subject. He's bad at it but asks a clever question: What's the point of learning Latin even though it's a dead language? Comment for answers please! And I need you're opinion! :)

There is absolutely no point at all. Few will ever use it. I suggest he learns Spanish.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last one is actually "per aspera ad astra" - through the roughness to the beer!...- our motto when it came to finishing school...

View attachment 36484

Latin is the mother of the roman languages, and definitely helps when learning new languages. Thanks to latin my spanish went pretty smooth...

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

My guess is most people cannot begin to define those words. They only think they know what they mean and quite often, they are using them incorrectly. People might recognize the words you posted but if they do not understand them so what?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had many jobs in college. One was as a girl Friday for a law firm. In one case, I was handling a legal doc for a lawyer, who needed it filed in court on deadline. I grabbed it, couldn't make heads or tails of it, to know whether I'd grabbed the right one. I asked why it had to be written in Latin. The lawyer's answer: So we can bill $350 an hour.

That was more than 20 years ago.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LannyC said:
No, speaking fictional languages is WAY nerdier than spouting Latin. I'd forgotten just how strange sci-fi fandom can be.

Twerppoet's list is missing one, though: "Nolite id cogere, cape malleum majorem" (Don't force it, get a bigger hammer). Legend has it that when Pompeii was unearthed, archaeologists found this inscription on the wall over the workbench of a chariot repair shop; it's been the motto of vehicular mechanics ever since. (post if you remember the origin of that story)

Thank you! I now, finally, have a signature for my work email!!

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Latin is known to be the most racist language ever created. I do not think it was created here on Earth, either.

I thought you should know.

WOW, 'Happy Shiny People' just came on. I love that song. Do you love that song?

You cannot translate Happy Shiny People to Latin, so it is limited and therefore, bad, M'kay? Very Bad, M'kay?

But I digress.

Where was I? Oh, yes. Latin is not as useful as Esperanto, so learn Esperanto.

Saulto Sanjuro. Kiel vi fartas? Kie estas la necesejo? Dankon.

Most reactions

Latest posts