What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I upgrade from iPad 3 to iPad 4?

OperatorX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm moving from the 1 to the 4. The lack of IOS 6 support, and the bloat that has become IOS apps has turned my functional iPad 1 into a slug. Most of the productivity apps I've come to rely on are really painful to use.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OperatorX said:
I'm moving from the 1 to the 4. The lack of IOS 6 support, and the bloat that has become IOS apps has turned my functional iPad 1 into a slug. Most of the productivity apps I've come to rely on are really painful to use.

I think that, in your case, an upgrade is certainly warranted. The RAM is only a quarter the size of that in the iPad 4 and has trouble handling the larger apps, as you've already discovered.

Last edited:

scott_R1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed: as I stated earlier; going from a 1 to a 4 makes a big difference. My iPad 1 became really slow with all the apps I was using and it regularly booting out of Print Shop Pro, and Office. It became a real pain so I knew it was time. An iPad 3 gets the job done just fine as well.

Seiguen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no much difference between ipad 3 and ipad 4. No point of upgrading it. Just update your os.

talon90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no much difference between ipad 3 and ipad 4. No point of upgrading it. Just update your os.

Well, other than a faster processor, quad core graphics and a Facetime HD camera. No, not much difference.

As to whether or not anyone "needs" to upgrade will come down to how they use the iPad. The processor is significantly faster, the graphics are significantly better. The camera is much better at producing both higer resolution stills and video even from the Facetime camera. If these are important features to the user then it is definitely worth the upgrade. I went from a 2 to a 4 and the difference is noticeable.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
talon90 said:
Well, other than a faster processor, quad core graphics and a Facetime HD camera. No, not much difference.

As to whether or not anyone "needs" to upgrade will come down to how they use the iPad. The processor is significantly faster, the graphics are significantly better. The camera is much better at producing both higer resolution stills and video even from the Facetime camera. If these are important features to the user then it is definitely worth the upgrade. I went from a 2 to a 4 and the difference is noticeable.

Yes, so did I. 4 is much faster than 2.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

BlackOropher26

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well..if you have tons of money,then you should.If not,then just stick to iPad 3.
IP3 is cool,and 4 doesn't have much difference compared to 4.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
BlackOropher26 said:
Well..if you have tons of money,then you should.If not,then just stick to iPad 3.
IP3 is cool,and 4 doesn't have much difference compared to 4.

Stick w 3 and save your $$$.

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC Using using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was jut thinking - if I upgrade my Internet, my 2 will seem a little faster.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
I was jut thinking - if I upgrade my Internet, my 2 will seem a little faster.

I don't know if you noticed, but after the ios 6 update my iPad 2 was faster in loading pages. I was shocked!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know if you noticed, but after the ios 6 update my iPad 2 was faster in loading pages. I was shocked!

I don't remember now, it was a while ago.

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most places that I frequent have wifi and I have it at home. So hopefully, I'll be OK. My ipad 1 was wifi only and it was ok.

New pad is wifi only. 2 was a gift and is a VZW pad. Shortly after that I added a tethering data plan to my iPhone to use w 2 and now iPod touch to save 10.00 each month. ;)

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions