What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 1 User - which to upgrade?

Kerean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am an iPad 1 user on 5.1.1 JB and have wanted to upgrade to ipad3 for a while but kept procrastinating. Now that the 4 is out, should I get the 4? Or quickly find a 3 from my local store? My concern is mainly on JB which I cannot live without. The 3 comes with 5.1 as far as I know and that can be JB-Ed. The 4 has two issues, a new chip to hack, and it comes prob with ios6, which can't be JB-Ed on anything known for quite a while. Any thoughts?

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm guessing that any iPad3 Apple is selling will come with IOS 6 since it's been out for over a month. You might find a 3rd party store with a 5.1.1 version in stock, but the way these things fly off the shelves you may be out of luck.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you must have the jb than I would wait until there is a jailbreak for ios6 because the chances of you finding an ios5.1.1 iPad3 is going to be slim as time rolls on and the newer iPad 3's start showing up with ios6.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm guessing that any iPad3 Apple is selling will come with IOS 6 since it's been out for over a month. You might find a 3rd party store with a 5.1.1 version in stock, but the way these things fly off the shelves you may be out of luck.

None of us know for sure but I'm willing to bet there aren't any iPad 3 units with iOS 6 for sale anywhere.
There are to darn many iPads in the pipeline and these need to be sold off. Apple knew the iPad 4 was coming out and I bet they didn't bother upgrading the iOS on the iPad 3.

Also, I bet they have been building the iPad 4 for at least the last month to have enough stock for the release next week.

Last edited:

Jkeeley1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I had bought my ipad 3 from the apple store on 10/20, it did NOT have iOS 6 on it, so I would say that they are still out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions