What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharing universal apps with 2 users?

metatate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm setting up my wife with an iPad. I'm the iPhone guy in the house and she has an iPod touch. There really hasn't been any conflict with sharing apps among the 2 devices …
Until we added in the iPad :ipad-front: …

Here's the issue:
I sync a few universal apps using iTunes to her iPad. She has a different apple user name (email address). The apps seem to work fine that I sync. However, when there is an update, my user name comes up - but it doesn't accept my password (or hers) :mad:.

I have logged in and out as her in the settings … but still the same problem. This seems like a bug. :confused:

The other goofy thing is that iTunes "WANTS" to sync all the apps to the iPad - regardless of whether they are universal or iPhone only. This seems pretty odd and counter-intuitive - of course I can turn off app syncing but adding this new device seems to bring out some flaws I wasn't aware of. :(

Any insight would be splendid.

Thanks.
Tate

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To share apps, you must be on the same user account. As for all apps syncing, you probably have the box checked for "Automatically sync new apps", uncheck it if it's checked. You should also click, CTRL + , (that's the Control key and the Comma key together) and go to the DEVICES tab and check the box that says, "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically."

On the APPS tab for the device, you can check or uncheck the apps you want on your device, then sync. She can do the same for her device.

Then go here: "http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad" and download the manual for the iPad, it's good reading, believe it or not.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah the iPad will play iPhone/pod apps so they will load if not unchecked

Be sure you've authorized both accounts soy can share and watch for case sensitivity. I have no problem sharing apps with two accounts including updates. Updates should be password for the original purchaser

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello in my Mac i manage 7 iDevices (all same account) and strictly no problem at all , when i delete app’s in one device itunes remember this choice … but i can’t say more in your case as you have two account in the same computer …

OP
M

metatate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - authorize both accounts ON THE IPAD?

Yeah the iPad will play iPhone/pod apps so they will load if not unchecked

Be sure you've authorized both accounts soy can share and watch for case sensitivity. I have no problem sharing apps with two accounts including updates. Updates should be password for the original purchaser

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No both accounts on the iTunes. Then you can pick and choose apps to load on either device regardless of which account bought them.
Later, on the iPad, if there is an update on an app from the other account then the popup will tell you so, at that point you enter the corresponding password, no need to log in and out of accounts on the iPad itself IF the original load came from authorized iTunes.

Example..my b/f and I share purchases. We each have our own accounts, own laptops, even own homes..... My laptop is authorized with his account as well as mine and visa versa...he buys an app, I want it..I open iTunes on my pc, log in on his account download his purchase..log out and back into my account...plug in my iPad check the new apps and sync.
My son comes home wants the app logs into iTunes on his account plugs in his iPod and transfers the app...

Now there's an update on B/f's app pops up on my iPad with his account info, I put in his password and app updates, next app is mine new popup comes I put in my password...no problem

Most reactions

Latest posts