What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal Apps for iPhone & iPad

ericaricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody else thinking about, or developing, or have thoughts on universal apps for iPhone and iPad? Something that you could buy once and be able to use on multiple devices?

Right now there's such a big mark-up on iPad apps; I wonder if others have thoughts on whether time and competition will push the cost down, or if there'll be a switch to universal apps. Or whether things will continue on as they are with iPad apps generally in a different, more expensive category.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
most existing iPhone/iPod apps already work on the iPad in 2x mode. I'm sure as we see more iPads sold, more apps will come along and at more competitive cost.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anybody else thinking about, or developing, or have thoughts on universal apps for iPhone and iPad? Something that you could buy once and be able to use on multiple devices?
They call those Uni Bin apps and there are more and more coming out literally every day.

And I agree that a Uni Bin or iPad-only app shouldn't cost any more since it doesn't cost any more to develop it. I personally haven't run into a situation where an "HD" app costs more than the iPhone/iPod version, but apparently many people have.

The good thing is that there don't seem to be that many unique apps where there is only one app that will perform a certain task. In many cases, there is usually a free or lower cost alternative.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And I agree that a Uni Bin or iPad-only app shouldn't cost any more since it doesn't cost any more to develop it. I personally haven't run into a situation where an "HD" app costs more than the iPhone/iPod version, but apparently many people have.

I have seen a few where there is a free, limited version for iPhone, but only a full, paid option for iPad. It seems in general that iPad apps are a little more expensive than many iPhone apps, but I think that is probably due to the sheer volume of iPhone apps, many of them being goofy, junk apps. IPad apps tend to be of more use and offer more value because they are capable of doing more than iPhone apps.

Most reactions

Latest posts