What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Settings icon says Ar...r??.

kelB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My friend just showed me a screen shot of her settings icon (see below)

I know it's for an iPhone but I wondered if anyone had any ideas what this meant?

(Big Business Game App - Player Name: Beaneys / City Name: kêl)

Attachments

• image-3556129442.jpg
    image-3556129442.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 763

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's a new one! :)

All I can think is that maybe it's an update from the carrier? Cause usually, when there is an iOS update there (from Apple), you get a red circled "1." Has your friend tried pressing on the Settings icon to see what message she may get?

Marilyn

OP
kelB

kelB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, that's a new one! :)

All I can think is that maybe it's an update from the carrier? Cause usually, when there is an iOS update there (from Apple), you get a red circled "1." Has your friend tried pressing on the Settings icon to see what message she may get?

Marilyn

She gets nothing at all when opening settings.

OP
kelB

kelB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know it isn't, don't think she would know how to jailbreak it lol

I've told her to update to latest software and see what happens, not heard anything back yet. It's very odd as I haven't even been able to find anything from a google search. I've certainly never seen anything like this in all my time of owning an apple device.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm also on O2-UK and I've not seen anything like that.......I guess that's not much help apart from it's unlikely to be a carrier update.

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately, I've got nothing. I even tried Google image search. Nothing.

Sorry - but it looks like a mystery. Maybe ask Apple?

However, if you ever do find out what it is - could you let us know? It's gonna bother me, now.... :)

Marilyn

OP
kelB

kelB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I shall defiantly update the thread, it will be useful if any member on here gets the same issues, at least we shall know lol

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Maybe the calendar is out of whack and the phone thinks it is Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Before getting too crazy, she should try the usual fixes, if she has not already done so.

----------------------------
The usual fixes:

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart. takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My friend just showed me a screen shot of her settings icon (see below)

I know it's for an iPhone but I wondered if anyone had any ideas what this meant?

I've seen that 3 times. I won't discuss one since the person whose device it was is currently doing jail time for reasons related to it. The other two times I saw it one was because of a configuration profile that had expired but didn't auto-delete and the other was because the device was jail broken and the owner was having fun playing with different tweaks to change the badges. In the latter case all her badges did it, not just the settings icon.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...[snip to quote]... The other two times I saw it one was because of a configuration profile that had expired but didn't auto-delete and the other was because the device was jail broken and the owner was having fun playing with different tweaks to change the badges. In the latter case all her badges did it, not just the settings icon.

Ah, yes, forgot about the system profile!

@kelB: Have your friend go into her iPad's Settings app. Then, look under the General tab for a line titled "Profile." In there might be an expired (or misbehaving) profile that needs attention? You said she's not jail broken, which discounts the badge-tweaking thought.

Just another thought/stab at the problem (with thanks to joeyteel for mentioning it)....

Marilyn

Most reactions