What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

See Flash and Silverlight running on the iPad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

Seattle-based creative consultancy Artefact has come up with a concept to get Flash and Silverlight up and running on the iPad, and they’ve got the “proof-of-concept†videos to, um, prove it! The stated aim of the folks at Artefact was to create a site that uses Flash in Mobile Safari without having to install any extra apps. They’ve managed to come up with a solution that they say is not jail-broken, and doesn’t need an app or a plug-in to work. In fact all it needs is the default Safari browser.

To achieve their aim, Artefact used Google’s open source Chrome browser (Chromium) to render images on a server and then transmit the images to Safari. Then, they used Javascript on an overlaid layer to send all touch interactions to the server. Artefact says that the main downsides of running Flash this way are that it eats up more CPU time on the server, it doesn’t run as fast as running Flash directly would, and so far it can only show images and not sound. But, they’re trying to fix that by using the h.264 codec.

Source: Artefact

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pwtQefApuHQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pwtQefApuHQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When is someone going to do a local server like air video that renders flash on your desktop and smoothly streams it to your device?????

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I dont have very high hopes for this. It would be cool, but the simple solution would just be for Jobs to get off his high horse and let flash on the iPad. If its so horrible, then give me the choice to turn it off or not.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
…Artefact used Google’s open source Chrome browser (Chromium) to render images on a server and then transmit the images to Safari. Then, they used Javascript on an overlaid layer to send all touch interactions to the server.…
I think if this was actually the normal way to run and interact with flash, Apple wouldn't have a problem with it and likely wouldn't have banned it from their mobile devices. But like the article admitted, it eats up CPU on the server and that (plus crashes and memory leaks) makes it a poor choice for iOS devices.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When is someone going to do a local server like air video that renders flash on your desktop and smoothly streams it to your device?????

When are people finaly going to give up on flash?

I only have a couple sites I visit that still use flash video that I would like to be able to view...so I guess people will give up on flash when there is zero need for it.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score

When are people finaly going to give up on flash?

I dont know, but its everywhere. I ran Flash Lite on my slow Windows Mobile Phone. It didnt fully support every flash object, but it have you the ability to navigate flash sites and play You Tube on the site. It worked pretty well on Windows Mobile with a slow CPU and no GPU. There ought to be a way to get some limited support on the iPad.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HTML 5 is great. I think Safari and many browser already support it. The problem is that HTML 5 has not even been finalized and adopted as a standard yet. You cant expect the internet as a whole to drop technology that 90% of internet users have no problem with and redesign their sites just because something new will be out soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts