What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen rotation issue

flexguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to search the forum for an answer before posting, but could not find anything.

Quick question. I have the latest OS (4.2.1), no mods to my iPad whatsoever. I've had my iPad since early October, so its not new and did work correctly in the past.

Here's my problem. The screen no longer rotates when I'm looking at email. All other apps work fine and the screen rotates as normal. Is there a fix for this or something I may be overlooking?

Thanks...

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen rotation lock is not on the side anymore. It is a soft key in the ipad.

Double tap the home key and swipe right. There it is.:)

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Think you need to be a bit more specific , regarding the kind of mail you are using/
I have on my iPAD 3 kinds:
  1. Exchange
  2. Gmail
  3. Other.
All working fine - Rotating properly.

OP
F

flexguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen rotation lock is not on the side anymore. It is a soft key in the ipad.

Double tap the home key and swipe right. There it is.:)

Thanks but I already checked that. Mail (all mail gmail, me, etc...) was the only app that would not rotate. The lock you refer to locks/unlocks all apps and is not app specific. Called Apple and the issue was resolved.

OP
F

flexguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to settings and tap on reset. Very simple. The tech at Apple had no record of anyone having the issue. I've used it now a handful of time to correct it.

rwsimon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Real resolution of rotation problem

I too had the problem of the mail app no longer rotating in the iPad after installing an OS update. Resetting the iPad did fix it temporarily, but the problem always came back. I talked to Apple about it and they suggested that the problem was due to some sort of interaction with another app.

This was proven to me when I replaced my iPad with a new iPad 2 and had the exact same problem.

The solution? I installed iOS 4.3.2 the other day and, lo and behold, the problem is gone! Guess it was some kind of bug in the OS that has finally been corrected.

Most reactions