What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen crack

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just taking my mini out of its case (an ihome composition) and the screen cracked!! I didn't drop it or anything. Im so upset! Anyone have an issue like this before? And no, I do not have AppleCare!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first thing you should do is make a genius appointment at an Apple store. If Apple determines that the crack was not the result of abuse, but because of a defect in the screen, it would be covered under the standard warranty. You have nothing to lose by asking.

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first thing you should do is make a genius appointment at an Apple store. If Apple determines that the crack was not the result of abuse, but because of a defect in the screen, it would be covered under the standard warranty. You have nothing to lose by asking.

I made an appointment for this evening. I'm just so worried they will think I dropped it or something- pray for me!!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I made an appointment for this evening. I'm just so worried they will think I dropped it or something- pray for me!!

Good luck, Applechick! Do let us know what happens! Keeping our fingers crossed for you!

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple would not exchange it. Had to pay $230 to replace.....

xTyler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry the whole situation seems a bit cheesy. I mean I've never heard of an ipad to just crack from removing it from the case. But maybe I'm wrong (it may have been defective) but the way you said " I don't want them to think i dropped it or something" kinda sends a message that you caused the issue by not being careful. Next time be more careful okay and happy ipad using :)

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry the whole situation seems a bit cheesy. I mean I've never heard of an ipad to just crack from removing it from the case. But maybe I'm wrong (it may have been defective) but the way you said " I don't want them to think i dropped it or something" kinda sends a message that you caused the issue by not being careful. Next time be more careful okay and happy ipad using :)

The reason I said I don't want them to think I dropped it is because that's what most people, including you would assume. But that was not the case. I'm sorry you think the situation seems cheesy, but what benefit do I have starting a topic on this forum that is based on a lie?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple would not exchange it. Had to pay $230 to replace.....

That is a shame but better I guess than paying full price.

I have heard of one other case here where they grabbed their iPad from a corner and it cracked the screen. Sorry but I can't remember what outcome they had though, but it was a full size iPad.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For a drop one can expect to find a point of impact assuming it hit a hard surface. For just a crack from defect, close inspection should reveal no external damage along the sides and/or on the front glass. One could sit on a mini, but doing so should result in some bending of the housing. If my screen just up and cracked, I'd look closely to see a point of impact some place near that crack. If there is none, then a reasonable person might be pursuaded that the crack was the result of a defect. I'd ask them to look for it. But that is the real issue here. None of us can decide and you are left to deal with the folks at the Apple store.

mgpinney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Listen everybody, the point is not that apple won't believe whether or not a crack is from accident, abuse or a defect. According to the apple "genius" I just spoke to, there is no way to repair a screen. I don't want a free replacement, I want to repair the screen. Can anyone tell me from experience that they have been able to repair a screen. If not, then I won't bother. Is apple really so cynical that they have created a product and the attendant desire to own it, and then made it impossible to repair? The mind boggles.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Listen everybody, the point is not that apple won't believe whether or not a crack is from accident, abuse or a defect. According to the apple "genius" I just spoke to, there is no way to repair a screen. I don't want a free replacement, I want to repair the screen. Can anyone tell me from experience that they have been able to repair a screen. If not, then I won't bother. Is apple really so cynical that they have created a product and the attendant desire to own it, and then made it impossible to repair? The mind boggles.

A cracked screen cannot be repaired, it requires the replacement of the screen. Any replacement iPad offered to you comes with full warranty coverage for the remainder of your warranty period or 90 days, whichever period is longer.

TwinsisterWendy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen a website (i think Ifixit or something like that) where one was taken apart. Basically, the Ipad mini is one big lump of glue with electronics inside. Absolutely everything is glued on to each other. I believe the tech guy if he says they can't fix it. Time and effort would cost more than replacing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple does not repair screens. They give you a new device at a discounted rate.

Most reactions