What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cracked screen around button

nothappy68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am at my wits end. I would like to ask the forum members if anyone has come across this problem with the ipad mini. I have read on apple forums that cracks have appeared on the edges for no apparent reasons but mine is extreme.

This morning when I turned my ipad on I pressed the button that is centre bottom. The screen has shattered all around the button and it also sent cracks up the screen. I was so shocked at what I had just witnessed.

I am worried if this has not happened to anyone else apple will dismiss it. I bought the ipad in july last year so it is only 9 months old.

Would this be covered as a fault and be repaired under the warrenty? I do not have Applecare but it is less than one year old, so would take it back under that warrenty.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I do not know where I would stand. HELP........ 2014-05-08 21.15.02.jpg2014-05-08 21.15.48.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The standard Apple warranty on an iPad does not cover glass breakage. In your case, however, there is the possibility that the breakage was stress related because pressure on the glass while pushing the home button to wake the iPad would not normally break the glass unless it was under unusual stress. My only advice would be to take it to an Apple Sore and have it examined. If Apple determines that the breakage was not caused by impact damage or excessive force there is the possibility that it may be covered under the warranty. There is no guarantee that Apple will cover the repair or replacement, though.

OP
N

nothappy68

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks scifan57

I bought the ipad at currys and the nearest apple store is sheffield, so would either be ok to take it back or do you suggest the apple store?

It was definately not an impact, I pressed the button as I have always done but was so shocked at what happened.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you took it back to the store where you purchased it, they may handle it or refer you to the Apple Store. Why don't you call the store and tell them about the problem and see what they tell you.

jimtra

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me today!

Sorry to hear about the cracked screen, but thanks for posting about it.

Wondered what was the outcome for your repair?
The same thing has happened to mine. Almost identical cracking centred around the button.
Did the retailer or Apple agree to replace under warranty? Got a date booked the Apple Store 'Genius Bar' can't wait to meet them.

Do update if you have some info, I think its useful for this specific case.

Most reactions

Latest posts