What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratch

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks, well I've gone and scratched the back of my iPad after only about 2 weeks. Just wondering if anyone knows of any way to get rid the scratch ... Any solutions or any thing like that...I know a cover will hide it but it's still annoying as hell!?

Thanks guys

Kevin

scudder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used a car paint cutting solution called 'T-Cut' sold in the UK before to almost remove light scratches on Al. Not sure where you are located or if you can get that product. It is a very mild abrasive.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
scudder said:
I have used a car paint cutting solution called 'T-Cut' sold in the UK before to almost remove light scratches on Al. Not sure where you are located or if you can get that product. It is a very mild abrasive.

I would think that your proposal would damage the appearance of the matte finish on the metal and leave a much larger,even more annoying area of damage.

OP
kevinhunter

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you used it on an ipad or apple product scudder?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your best bet is to get some kind of back protection NOW to avoid getting even more scratches on the back. There is nothing you can do about the ones that are present now.

L

Lunar

I would think that your proposal would damage the appearance of the matte finish on the metal and leave a much larger,even more annoying area of damage.

I agree.. I use t-cut occasionally for cutting paintwork, but you need to be careful with it, as any more than a little rubbing will definately cause the area to become shiny, and likely stand out even more. For high glossy surfaces it's great, but not much good for mat finishes, as it will definately change the colour of the area where your've been rubbing, probably make it look glossy.

TBH, I think I would just leave it as is, as you will likely make it look worse... I would put a decent cover on it.

My iPad slides into a soft leather folio case, but I always check in case there's any bits or something stuck to the case which might scratch it when sliding it in, I use a bits of sellotape to lift any bits off, as it does look like the rear of the iPad would scratch quite easily, and all it would take is a tiny bit of grit.

My advice to people is to carefully insert the connector BEFORE you plug it into the power adapter, your'll find it much easier to line it up and less likely to slip and scratch down the side, which is dead easy to happen on the iPad2 & 3. I was almost tempted to stick a piece of plastic protective around the connector, but was unsure how the adhesive may react with the iPads finish... I recall doing something similar with another device years ago to protect something and when I peeled it off months later it had somehow left a rectangular mark on the matt finish, so one has to be careful what you use.. on that occasion it was just a strip of plain clear selotape, but you could see where it had been. :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

scudder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, used it on the original iPhone case. That is of course an altogether different horse as the whole surface could be done for blending in.

OP
kevinhunter

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Ps if u seen the size of the scratch you would think I'm nuts...my girl friend does... It's pretty small.. Still annoying though. Ps I did have a cover on ... It was attaching the charger cable...slipped and ran down the inside of the case...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any one of the many available adhesive skins made for the back of the iPad would certainly prevent the accident which caused your scratch.Have you looked into that type of cover?

OP
kevinhunter

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys.usually very careful. I've now also noticed a little glitch where the aluminium meets the glass casing...it's like a little tiny trough just along from the front facing camera...certainly not drop the iPad so I think it's been there all along and I'm now wondering if I can hassle apple about this and get it exchanged !? :)

OP
kevinhunter

kevinhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just ordered one of the I carbons for the back. It's at least going to hide the scratch :) ps I found a really good page with discount codes that worked. Really handy considering I'm shipping to the uk. Cheers guys.

While I'm at it...can anyone recommend what is the best screen protection?

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My daughter had a few small scratches on her iPod. She waxed them with a tiny bit of car wax, worked pretty good, didnt make them totally go,away but it surely diminished them quite a bit

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Ps if u seen the size of the scratch you would think I'm nuts...my girl friend does... It's pretty small.. Still annoying though. Ps I did have a cover on ... It was attaching the charger cable...slipped and ran down the inside of the case...

As expensive as these things are no scratch is too small. The smart covers scare me to death. I like to take mine off when I am going to be holding it for awhile but I know there is some friction when the magnet re-attaches. I just know over time it will leave a mark so I will be investing in something for the back soon myself.

Most reactions

Latest posts