What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen Scratched

Jaracove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I bought the ipad 3 early September, and I was very happy with it. But after a while, I saw two problems with it.

The first was the wifi connection. It was very poor upstairs. I either had to hold it in a certain way or it wouldn't work at all. My laptop which is is the exact same place, works just fine on the wireless.

The second was the screen developed a tiny scratch about half a milimetre long. This after about 5 weeks of use. I've no idea how it got there as I was careful with it, and even bought a Smart Cover (which I've recently learned can scratch the screen if it picks up grit). It was barely noticeable but because of my OCD it played greatly on my mind. So much so I sold my ipad soon after.

The bottom line though, is that I really liked my ipad 3 and I'm thinking of buying another one soon. But the screen scratching and the wireless issues are giving me pause for thought. I hate to say this but for £559.00 I at least expected the wireless to work upstairs. The scratch could happen at any time I guess, but even so, I was careful with it, and was surprised to find it had indeed cracked.

Any suggestions?

Also, do Apple cover screen damage in the standard year's warranty, if so, how long does it take for them to pick it up and return it?

Thank you.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) Wifi. I have to think you either had a defective unit, you needed to reset your network settings, or you have a poor wifi signal in your location. Every mobile devices is different, so just because your laptop works doesn't mean the iPad will, if you have not addressed these other issues. Most people find the iPad's wifi works just fine. I'm getting the impression that you gave up too quickly and didn't fully address the wifi issues.

2) if you get sand on the screen, then it will scratch. Using a cover where it folds such that the inside comes in contact with a surface means it might catch particles. It sounds like yours did. There are two solutions. 1) get a screen proctor or 2) get a case that is designed in such a way that the side that contacts the screen NEVER comes in contact with anything but the screen. Ok, the third option is to be careful of the surface onto which you put your iPad, but since you got a scratch that is likely not going to work for you.

OP
J

Jaracove

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as the wireless is concerned, I'm not sure if it was an issue with me not doing things right. One of the things I was told to do was reset my wireless settings and I tried that but it still performed poorly. I may have had a defective unit but I don't think it was that, because it was a consistent issue as in it only occurred upstairs.

I did have a screen protector but the scratch seemed to have occurred before I put it on. At least it was not on the protector but was on the glass.

Thank you for your input

Most reactions

Latest posts