What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safari file upload greyed out

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do i need to set somthing up to manage attachment, the file upload part is greyed out so I can't upload jpgs from photo album.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's not possible to upload files from Safari to a website. This is because the iPad has a different file system to a PC; in the iPad all files are isolated and are held in an app's local file space. So Safari is unable to access the files that are used by the various apps on an iPad. I am not sure if it is possible to do this using the web browser in GoodReader; other Members may be able to advise but, for sure, you can't do this from Safari.

There is a very ugly workaround but it's really better done from a PC.

Tim

OP
saphire

saphire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you Tim, I can upload direct from my photo's in Icab so couodn't understand why the same area in safari is greyed out, If its not available why show a greyed button.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Tim, I can upload direct from my photo's in Icab so couodn't understand why the same area in safari is greyed out, If its not available why show a greyed button.

The 'button' is put there by the web site, not the iPad. The greying is the iPad's way of letting you know that it can't do this..

If you're ever in a complete 'fix' there are some terrible - truly terrible - workarounds - but you need to be sitting down to hear them....

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

iCab does some kind of substitution when it detects a choose file button. Sometimes, if you watch closely, you can see it happen. It does not work with all sites. Last time I checked it did not work on this forum. That was a couple updates ago, so it may now.

But you will notice that iCab can only upload files that have been loaded to the app (or the photos which have an aproved method for other apps to access them).

calmmie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
icabmobile browser let you upload photos in websites

You CAN upload photos in websites using icabmobile browse. You can see the attach buttons. I tested and succeed in every website including twitter, facebook, gmail, and other websites. It's very good browser. Trust me, you will love it!

nocowgirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded iCab mobile and yes, the upload button appears but does not work on every site. And when it does work it still has some sort of issue with publishing photos.

ChrisHomer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Uploading using iCab

I have just bought an iPad and iCab browser.

I want to upload pics to websites (e.g. Gumtree) but the upload option is greyed out for me?

Can someone please do a screenshot to demonstrate how they manage to upload?

(I understand the concept of sandboxing, so iCab can't access files from other apps. Can it access the photo library or photo stream?)

(For those outside the UK, Gumtree is like Craigslist)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It either works with that site, or it doesn't. All you can do is send feedback to the developer and hope they will update the app to work with that site as well.

There are many methods to implement uploading to a site, and even minor variations could break a solution like iCab's.

I notice there is a GumTree app for the iPhone. It probably won't look very nice on the iPad, but it should work.

Most reactions

Latest posts