What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

safari and high-res images

radiolalo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm from Mexico, no ipad yet but a friend of mine is flying back from Canada next weekend and I asked her to bring me one :)
Problem is... I'm a student of classics, and the site "Dictionnaire des antiquités grecques et romaines" is truly important to me. The question here is: the ipad can handle high res images? or does it downscale like the iphone. I can enter the site from my ipod touch, even can see the image (when you search for a word, the site presents you with an image of the scanned book) the only problem is that the ipod touch presents a downscaled version of that image, in my imac the jpg file is presented at 2024x2906 pixels, so I can read the text without issues, but in the ipod touch the resolution doesnt go beyond 1024x?? (I cant see the other number)

My question is: In the ipad will be the same? or does the safari app in the ipad can handle high-res images without issues? I wont be able to read smoothly the images from that website? does another browser like Atomic would help me with this issue?

Thanks a lot to all of you for your time, I expect your answers could help me with this particular issue, the only one for which I'm doubtful about getting an ipad or not.

Regards

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad resolution is better than that of the iPod Touch, but not as good as the iPhone 4. The good news is that the resolution of the next generation iPad should be equal to the iPhone 4.

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
I'm looking at page 50 of the book and clicked on the magnifying glass (on my iPad of course). the image took a few seconds to download, but was very readable. Pinching action enlarges the text to where it is very readable indeed.

"On retrouvee dans l'Argolide les acropoles..."

I do notice a difference between my Mac desktop version on Safari and the image viewed on the iPad. Zooming both in to maximum, I notice the iPad version is a bit pixelated whereas the desktop version is very sharp (for a scan of a book).

I notice also that on the desktop, I was sent the 2048x2906 image, whereas on the iPad, it only got the 1024x1453. Does the site adjust what size of scan image that it will send to a device? Perhaps that is a tunable value? Very odd that it would distinguish.

Edit: I checked the URL for the image as displayed on both desktop and iPad and it's exactly the same. So perhaps the server is checking the screen size of each device and only sending an image sized appropriately? Perhaps there is a cookie that can be set somewhere on the site that will eliminate this? My French is a little rusty so getting around was haphazard, at best... :)

Piko

Last edited:
OP
R

radiolalo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! I've been searching for an option in the site to prevent this, but I don't seem to find one, I don't know if it's a problem from the site or from the ipad, but I will keep searching. Thanks a lot to both! I hope my ipad gets here anytime soon.

Cheers.

balmydrizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found this problem, too. It's not about the size of the original image. Try opening this url: 'www . celebritywallpaperbase . com /category/1920-x-1440' & click wallpaper of Drew Barimore & Debby Ryan. They both have size 1920x144 for actual image data But they have different size displayed in Safari on iPad? I also want to know why & how can I disable this autoresize?

balmydrizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find How but don't know Why. If a picture with 1920x1440 is displayed in Safari on iPad & its displayed size is 960x720. Then Open this picture in Photoshop & save it as another file. Now if you try this new picture, Safari will show the actual size 1920x1440. I don't know what information does Photoshop write into. Hope some one know.

Most reactions