What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharing image gallery with remote iPads

merdrafts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've searched all over for a solution to this problem but have not quite found one.

I am trying to find a way to share a gallery of product images from a desktop or laptop (macs) to any ipad. Something like emailing a folder of images to someone they could download, or sending a zip without having the recipient actually having to open a zip file (if this makes any sense). The idea is easily allowing an ipad user to browse a gallery of images (full screen, touch sliding) without downloading a non-free app. The user would either have the images downloaded to their iPad or else view the images online.

Options I've looked at but ruled out so far:
1. Sending a PDF through mail or Dropbox or as a download from a website.
-The problem with this one is that the default app for PDFs is Safari (I believe) and it does not show the images nice and full screen like a folder of photos would look.
-Viewing on iBooks works better, but is less straightforward for the typical user.

2. Publishing as a photo book for iBook or other eBooks services.
-Most ebook sites don't allow content that advertises a product besides the book itself. My stuff would be doing this somewhat indirectly, but directly enough to be a problem. Ibooks is the only site im unsure about in that respect.

3. Using an online gallery like Flick, photobucket, etc.
-These galleries dont seem to display nicely on the iPad (full screen side flipping) without a non-free app. Perhaps there is a site that does this that I am unaware of?

Is this possible without building your own app, or having each user buy some gallery viewing app that costs a few bucks? I'm thinking no. I don't mind purchasing an app but I am trying to avoid other users/recipients of the images having to purchase anything.

Thanks.

garanth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried uploading the pictures to Facebook.
The new free Facebook app out today has a good gallery viewer.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure on that reply... but wouldn't then each recipient/viewer have to sign up for a Facebook account?? .. something I surely wouldn't do myself.

Interesting, but so far, unsolved conundrum. Wish I had an answer, as it could be a very desirable feature for many folks.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

LubbersLine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We use Smugmug to post our pictures. I'm not sure how your define "dont seem to display nicely" but our smugmug gallery displays nicely on the iPad.

OP
M

merdrafts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We use Smugmug to post our pictures. I'm not sure how your define "dont seem to display nicely" but our smugmug gallery displays nicely on the iPad.

By "nicely" I meant full screen with nothing around it, like when you are looking at a photo in a gallery you've uploaded to your ipad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at this Dropbox page: Dropbox - What is the Photos folder for? -

In it, they say things like "Creating subfolders in your Photos folder automatically creates online galleries you can share with friends and family." Which says to me that you can just send people a link to photos you've put in various folders within Dropbox and they'll be able to see them just fine. And, I don't think they'll need a Dropbox account, either.

I've not tried this, mind you, but I should think this will help?

Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It does work with Dropbox, I've done it a number of times. Put the photos you want to share in a folder within the photos folder, go to your Dropbox site and log in, choose the folder and it will give you a link to share the folder. The photos will be seen full screen if horizontal, will fill the screen top to bottom if vertical except for the address bar in Safari if looking on Ipad.

OP
M

merdrafts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The dropbox funcitonality you both just showed me is probably the closest I can come to what I am looking for without an app. Whats missing is the touch screen side flipping.

Thanks for your help!

Most reactions

Latest posts