What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumor: iPhone 5S and iPad 5 to Launch Mid-2013

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Ouch.

I'm from Asia, where we're used to buying our own phones and data separately, so I'm open to buying phones unsubsidized.

In the U.S., I'll take advantage of a subsidy if it suits, but I don't see the point of getting a newer model phone even with a subsidy if the coverage remains bad, lol.

I don't make many calls, but the key reason I got a cell phone in the first place was in case of emergency. If I couldn't rely on coverage, I wouldn't have phone to start with.

Yeah, it's a crazy system. Part of my delay involves what is now my ex. He never wanted to switch. Plus, it really seems like AT&T service has gotten worse recently.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a crazy system. Part of my delay involves what is now my ex. He never wanted to switch. Plus, it really seems like AT&T service has gotten worse recently.

I figure carrier quality varies from location to location, so pick what works best where you spend the most time.

On the East Coast, Sandy affected service in various places and overloaded the system at times, but I've not noticed any diff in service otherwise.

I recently went to seven or eight states, used both my AT&T cell and iPad connections, and didn't encounter probs other than dead spots in rural areas, which I'd expect.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mdholm said:
Yeah, that's just one of many reasons that I finally left AT&T. I heard that from a number of people, but it was absolutely not an option for me. I was told if I wanted to tether I had to give up unlimited.

The final straw for me was being at the mall with my daughter and getting separated. Neither of us had service with our AT&T phones. I had to go outside to get a signal to try and contact her. Of course, she had no service, either. I got tired of not having a signal in places where all my Verizon-using friends had full strength.

Yes, cell coverage is important when you have a family!!

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Yes, I'd read that. Makes sense. There's no incentive for them to let anyone keep unlimited and allow tethering, too, for the same grandfathered prices. Data use patterns for tablets are higher than on phones.

Even letting customers keep grandfathered unlimited is just a goodwill gesture that Verizon didn't even think worth making. Because of Verizon's aggressiveness in getting customers off unlimited, I wouldn't be surprised if it rippled to AT&T, too. But I'm not giving it up voluntarily. I use a lot of data.

Keep it as long as you can especially for your iPads !! But AT&T tends to follow Verizon with new products and practices. Enjoy it while you can.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IGonz said:
I honestly don't know. It's been so long. I'm using about 60/text per month I think.Mostly bank and credit card balances sent to me daily.Never been over.
I text to friends in several countries so I use WhatsApp to text free which use my cell number. Looks like this might be a good app for your daughter and her friends. Had no idea people text that much.
I thought AT&T eliminated the $5/mo. 200 text and I was prepared to go without but the guy said everything stay the same if I want so I kept it. I really don't want to pay $20/mo. for text.

Make her use a free app!!! What is she doing texting in her sleep?? Lol. Probably during school hours, but lets not go there now lol!!!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Ouch.

I'm from Asia, where we're used to buying our own phones and data separately, so I'm open to buying phones unsubsidized.

In the U.S., I'll take advantage of a subsidy if it suits, but I don't see the point of getting a newer model phone even with a subsidy if the coverage remains bad, lol.

I don't make many calls, but the key reason I got a cell phone in the first place was in case of emergency. If I couldn't rely on coverage, I wouldn't have phone to start with.

I don't use my phone that much, mostly for data and texting and most of that is done on my iPad. I need the phone in case of emergencies or just when I really need to use it its there, i.e., my landline dies (Fios, not copper lol), I am not at home, on terrace, etc. Not so hot to upgrade my iPhone right now unless Apple makes one that can clean my house and cook my meals lol. OR, when it starts dying, like my blackberry, back in 2011 also when Verizon got the phone maybe late 2010 sometime. That's when I decided to take the iPhone plunge lol.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
Make her use a free app!!! What is she doing texting in her sleep?? Lol. Probably during school hours, but lets not go there now lol!!!

Why use the free apps? We have an unlimited text plan; 5 people use it. Last months total was 29800. Keep in mind a large number of messages consist of "k" and "lol".

Also, she does text from school but she's a straight A student, so...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why use the free apps? We have an unlimited text plan; 5 people use it. Last months total was 29800. Keep in mind a large number of messages consist of "k" and "lol".

30000 text messages in one family of 5? Wow. That's 6000 per family member. Wow. Assume 30 days and that's 200 per day. Wow. That's a lot of "k" and "lol"s.

Wow. I don't even send 200 a month.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep it as long as you can especially for your iPads !! But AT&T tends to follow Verizon with new products and practices. Enjoy it while you can.

Like I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T followed Verizon. (It's obvious that a lack of competition in the U.S. carrier industry isn't good for consumers.) Luckily, I can afford to pay more if I must, or buy my phones unsubsidized.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
30000 text messages in one family of 5? Wow. That's 6000 per family member. Wow. Assume 30 days and that's 200 per day. Wow. That's a lot of "k" and "lol"s.

Wow. I don't even send 200 a month.

Lol. I haven't sent 200 in my lifetime.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mdholm said:

To each is own...

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC Using using iPF

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score

People I know don't need the$20/month individual or $30/month on the family plan with apps like WhatsApp.
I do more international texting and don't want to pay 25 cents per text.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T followed Verizon. (It's obvious that a lack of competition in the U.S. carrier industry isn't good for consumers.) Luckily, I can afford to pay more if I must, or buy my phones unsubsidized.

I'm hope that so many people jumped off the grandfathered unlimited Iphone and Ipad in the past AT&T won't bother with the rest of us.
I have many friends that wished they hadn't gotten off their grandfathered plans.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
IGonz said:
People I know don't need the$20/month individual or $30/month on the family plan with apps like WhatsApp.
I do more international texting and don't want to pay 25 cents per text.

Only drawback with those apps is you have to get everyone that you text to use them. But it's great for international texting. Are fellow iOS international users free on the iPad / iPhone as well?

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think we should count our blessings. Back in the day cellphone manufacturers built a model for each segment and called it a day.
The disappointment comes when you realize that the segments are low end, mid tier, above mid tier, high end.
Apple pretty much keeps all of its products in the high end while targeting different formfactors.

Most reactions