What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumor: iPhone 5S and iPad 5 to Launch Mid-2013

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IGonz said:
If you're with AT&T you keep your unlimited.
I just bought my iPhone 5 two days ago at AT&T and kept my grandfathered unlimited data. Even kept my 200 text for $5/month.
AT&T even unlocked my 3GS over the phone today.

I'm curious, how much are the texts if you go over? I have a teenage daughter; on a slow month her text count is 10K. We have the unlimited text/talk plan.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
No, at least not that they've announced. As of now, AT&T is allowing its grandfathered data customers keep their plans, whether they change phones or not. They even allow changing from 3G to 4G on grandfathered unlimited.

I plan to keep grandfathered unlimited on phone and iPad as long as AT&T offers it.

I had to give up my unlimited plan when I started using my phone to tether. There was no other option given to me.

It's all moot now, since I've switched to Verizon. There are 5 of us on an 8gb shared plan; last month we used 6 of them. We aren't big data users.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
No, at least not that they've announced. As of now, AT&T is allowing its grandfathered data customers keep their plans, whether they change phones or not. They even allow changing from 3G to 4G on grandfathered unlimited.

I plan to keep grandfathered unlimited on phone and iPad as long as AT&T offers it.

Yes, damn Verizon. However, they are always in cahoots when it comes to products and pricing.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
Not useless at all. Actually, it's the most used electronic device in our house by a huge margin. It just works. No reason for me to upgrade seeing as my current model is working like a beast. :)

I am on mine 24/7. Fios lo out on the unlimited wifi / home Internet deal with me. Now, I am starting to switch the pads around now taking them from room to room in the apt. Lol. Yes, frivolous, I know.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mdholm said:
I had to give up my unlimited plan when I started using my phone to tether. There was no other option given to me.

It's all moot now, since I've switched to Verizon. There are 5 of us on an 8gb shared plan; last month we used 6 of them. We aren't big data users.

Really, I tether with my unlimited plan. The tethering data plan is only 2GB for 20.00. I save 10 bucks vs. having a separate data plan for the iPad for 30.00 for 2GB.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
Really, I tether with my unlimited plan. The tethering data plan is only 2GB for 20.00. I save 10 bucks vs. having a separate data plan for the iPad for 30.00 for 2GB.

Yeah, that's just one of many reasons that I finally left AT&T. I heard that from a number of people, but it was absolutely not an option for me. I was told if I wanted to tether I had to give up unlimited.

The final straw for me was being at the mall with my daughter and getting separated. Neither of us had service with our AT&T phones. I had to go outside to get a signal to try and contact her. Of course, she had no service, either. I got tired of not having a signal in places where all my Verizon-using friends had full strength.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Yes, I'd read that. Makes sense. There's no incentive for them to let anyone keep unlimited and allow tethering, too, for the same grandfathered prices. Data use patterns for tablets are higher than on phones.

Even letting customers keep grandfathered unlimited is just a goodwill gesture that Verizon didn't even think worth making. Because of Verizon's aggressiveness in getting customers off unlimited, I wouldn't be surprised if it rippled to AT&T, too. But I'm not giving it up voluntarily. I use a lot of data.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, that's just one of many reasons that I finally left AT&T. I heard that from a number of people, but it was absolutely not an option for me. I was told if I wanted to tether I had to give up unlimited.

The final straw for me was being at the mall with my daughter and getting separated. Neither of us had service with our AT&T phones. I had to go outside to get a signal to try and contact her. Of course, she had no service, either. I got tired of not having a signal in places where all my Verizon-using friends had full strength.

No point staying with any carrier if coverage is bad where you are. I'm surprised you didn't switch earlier if that were the case. My brother switched because he moved to a hillside with bad reception on one carrier vs. another. He checked coverage before he moved in.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
No point staying with any carrier if coverage is bad where you are. I'm surprised you didn't switch earlier if that were the case. My brother switched because he moved to a hillside with bad reception on one carrier vs. another. He checked coverage before he moved in.

Well, you know, it's hard to switch when you keep upgrading phones and signing on for another two years. In order to finally do it I had to pay early termination fees.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm curious, how much are the texts if you go over? I have a teenage daughter; on a slow month her text count is 10K. We have the unlimited text/talk plan.

I honestly don't know. It's been so long. I'm using about 60/text per month I think.Mostly bank and credit card balances sent to me daily.Never been over.
I text to friends in several countries so I use WhatsApp to text free which use my cell number. Looks like this might be a good app for your daughter and her friends. Had no idea people text that much.
I thought AT&T eliminated the $5/mo. 200 text and I was prepared to go without but the guy said everything stay the same if I want so I kept it. I really don't want to pay $20/mo. for text.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nope, Verizon. But AT&T also has a data share plan, they are not making you switch to that?

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC Using using iPF

No. They were happy to transfer my grandfathered plan to my new phone.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I've been very happy with AT&T customer service and its grandfathering policies.

They have been good about all of this. I'm a happy customer....especially after they unlocked my old iphone.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, you know, it's hard to switch when you keep upgrading phones and signing on for another two years. In order to finally do it I had to pay early termination fees.

Ouch.

I'm from Asia, where we're used to buying our own phones and data separately, so I'm open to buying phones unsubsidized.

In the U.S., I'll take advantage of a subsidy if it suits, but I don't see the point of getting a newer model phone even with a subsidy if the coverage remains bad, lol.

I don't make many calls, but the key reason I got a cell phone in the first place was in case of emergency. If I couldn't rely on coverage, I wouldn't have phone to start with.

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just stopped into AT&T while making the rounds this morning. Told me exactly that - keep the unlimited plan and they will unlock the 3GS. Now I have to decide which one and save a few bucks to get it.

Yeah I forgot to ask about unlocking my iphone when I bought my Iphone 5 Friday. So yesterday I went to the AT&T website to do the unlock online. Filled out the info and entered and it said I had to send a receipt but I did not know what that was so I called AT&T. The lady found the form I just sent and said she will just do the unlock herself. After listening to her typing she said wait 5 minutes and do a restore on Itunes.
Just before the restore process was complete a large message popped on screen that said my iphone was unlocked.

Most reactions