What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Returned New iPad wifi 64 gig for iPad 2 -New iPad was too hot and too heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cayleg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im super upset. MODERATED...PLEASE MIND YOUR LANGUAGE......AS PER FORUM RULES
got the new ipad and it ran hot left side with just internet on!
not even heavy stuff! just net surfing one window!
So first of all i loved the new screen but not at the cost of making my slim and light tablet heavyer then a netbook!
i mean its realy noticable how much heaver not cool-for the bestest sweetest new apple tablet.
And then theres the heat i mean its over heating/ running uncomfortably hot in my hands i can even feel heat
on the topside glass as well and this is within 10/20 minits on internet?
i live in canada and its cool here now rain and some snow so its still pretty cool here
no way this thing should be running hot,what happens when its summer and hot as hell out
no way this new ipad going to make it unless turn screen down to minimum ect
then whats the point of a tablet you cant see and cant hold?
super bad apple! you guys dropped the ball ipad 2 is a great tablet
-learn from what makes it a great tablet. ( slim,light,good battery,powerfull,good screen )* think electric paper!*
-not laptop thanx.
And i advise people to get ipad 2s while you can as they are where its at for tablets
in my humble opinion
cayleg!

Last edited by a moderator:

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a case that is what I will do when I upgrade to iPad 3. That way if I get one hat gets hot that the heat ill not make any difference.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
either you got a defective ipad or you are super sensative to heat and weight.

My new iPad runs fine.

as for the weight, what do you expect when they double the size of the battery. Batteries are normaly one of the most heavy parts. Would have been nice if they kept the same shape so that older cases would fit, but I'll take the extra battery life any day.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I could not even tell it is heavier. Some folks.

Mystro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your crazy. I have the iPad2 and the new iPad is barely any heavier. If yours was hot, then you should have exchanged it for another. Like I said, I have both iPads and the very idea of exchanging a 3 for a 2 is ludicrous. After 2 days of using the new iPad, my iPad2's screen looks like crap compared to the new iPad. I gave my 2 to my wife and kids. My 4 year old son can even tell the screen is sharper and my wife that isn't into the tech scene was impressed on how good the new iPads screen looked. I think you should rethink your decision. Your investing into the past and that is unheard of with technology. This was dictated not typed.

Last edited:

Hackint0sh814

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally haven't noticed ay difference in the heat or weight. I even have mine covered with an Spigen Harmonie case and leather Smart Cover.

rushmore69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 does run cooler, but the weight is not much more. This is the trade off for the amazing display. Things I notice that make the trade off and $100 higher price worth it over the iPad 2:

Display is like looking sometimes at real objects rather than images. The image reproduction is that good and comics and web pages also have this effect.

Lower res apps scale much better and confirmed to be a spec update. Example is over at Touch Arcade.

Wifi range appears better.

Games are smoother for some that had frame issues.

I have the 64GB version. My other tablets are the Thrive 10" and View.

The effect of the display on the iPad "3" IMO can not be overstated. The iPad 2 and current Android tabs look weak in comparison.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP is clearly joking

The weight difference is negligible, check the specs. The heat is normally measured at 94 degrees, read the reports. That is less than body temperature where I live. It can get up to 116 degrees very briefly, according to the same reports, under extremely extended gaming use. My MB Pro, as I type this, is 130 degrees.

I have had the original, the iPad2, and the New iPad. The new iPad blows the previous generations completely away in all regards.

I weary of all the Android provokers that always surface every time Apple releases a new product.

L

Lunar

Both the 2 iPad 3's I've had, run cool, with no noticable warm spots on rear of case at all, even after being on 3 or 4hrs watching films, same with browsing etc. so very strange.. TBH I assumed and expected it to get a little warmer due to the larger battery and faster gpu etc. but it feels no different to my iPad 1, wife also say she cannot feel any warm spots on the rear case either.. room temp here is currently about 22/23c and the iPad is in a folio case too, but AIS after a heavy session, I've removed it just to check if it was getting warm.. and no.. it's fine.

Reason I'm on 2nd iPad is because I returned first one due to a tiny dust partical on the screen under the glass which was visible, and TBH It was not immediately obvious until you kew where to look, I only noticed it on the 2nd day.

On the subject of weight, thats a none issue for me, at least iPads have a metal case (I think it's metal anyway), the iphones like many other gadgets today definately have a plastic case. I can't really tell that much difference weight wise between any of them..lol tho it does feel a touch lighter than my iPad1 64/3g.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All Apple cases are aluminum. They discontinued the MacBook with the thermoplastic case. The iPhone 4 and 4S have gorilla glass on both sides, with an aluminum frame. Apple owns the patent on a precision milling process that makes each case from a solid piece of aluminum.

saholz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Regardless of the OP's reaction to his new iPad, there's no reason for a rant. He should be thankful that Apple offers such a liberal return and refund policy so that he's not stuck with something that he doesn't want. The iPad2 is a fine tablet, and it is a bit lighter and runs slightly cooler than the new iPad. If that's a major issue, then by all means send it back.

So, given the generous return and refund policy offered, what's the problem?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Even though it is their policy to let you return something you don't want...I never use that with abandon. Even a company like Apple will have limits on how much product they can allow to be returned this way...I can't be resold as new, right? It seems wasteful to be so willy nilly about it (even though they have 100Bil$$ in the bank). I can get the heat thing, maybe (ok, not really because I believe it to be a non-issues)...but the weight of the new device was published widely before it even went on sale. Frankly, I suspect a troll post.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
See if you can exchange. Talk to Apple.

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions