What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warm (not hot) on the left side...

Lindsey26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I've read numerous threads here and at different sites stating that people's iPads (3rd generation) are getting warm, even hot on the left side, to the point that they have to put them down.
I bought my iPad3 less than 2 weeks ago and I don't do anything exhausting on it. I usually draw or surf the internet or search for fun apps. I don't watch movies (at least yet) or dl music...but within 30 minutes I can feel the left side of my iPad warming up. It's not hot and I don't have to put it down or anything, but I have lowered the "brightness" and also let my battery completely drain to 0% then completely charged it back up to 100%. I'm hoping this helps, but I'm slightly nervous about watching tv shows or movies in fear that this might over heat my unit.
I have read people saying that their iPad isn't getting the LEAST bit warm, and I was wondering if this were true?
Is it normal (with the new processor) to get a little warm? Or is this a defect? Help please, I'm going back and forth with what I wanna do. (I had a hard time finding this iPad, and had to drive an hour just to get the LAST one in stock - talk about dedication haha)

ALSO - I bought a "zagg screen protector" - If I take my iPad3 back and they give me another one, what can I do about my "zagg protector?" - I mean the thing was $30 (it's awesome though, but $30 is $30) am I SOL with that? Or will they put another one on for me (I bought everything, iPad included at "Best Buy.")

Sweetchinmusic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's normal, I had a coworker tell me his iPhone gets warm while watching movies or playing games on it so when I told him about the iPad getting warm he said his phone does that too.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, so I've read numerous threads here and at different sites stating that people's iPads (3rd generation) are getting warm, even hot on the left side, to the point that they have to put them down.
I bought my iPad3 less than 2 weeks ago and I don't do anything exhausting on it. I usually draw or surf the internet or search for fun apps. I don't watch movies (at least yet) or dl music...but within 30 minutes I can feel the left side of my iPad warming up. It's not hot and I don't have to put it down or anything, but I have lowered the "brightness" and also let my battery completely drain to 0% then completely charged it back up to 100%. I'm hoping this helps, but I'm slightly nervous about watching tv shows or movies in fear that this might over heat my unit.
I have read people saying that their iPad isn't getting the LEAST bit warm, and I was wondering if this were true?
Is it normal (with the new processor) to get a little warm? Or is this a defect? Help please, I'm going back and forth with what I wanna do. (I had a hard time finding this iPad, and had to drive an hour just to get the LAST one in stock - talk about dedication haha)

ALSO - I bought a "zagg screen protector" - If I take my iPad3 back and they give me another one, what can I do about my "zagg protector?" - I mean the thing was $30 (it's awesome though, but $30 is $30) am I SOL with that? Or will they put another one on for me (I bought everything, iPad included at "Best Buy.")

Your iPad is fine...even if it gets a bit warm there is no problem with that. Don't be afraid to use it. Watch some movies on it. But do keep in mind that if you take it back, you will need to remove the screen protector, because they will not replace it. But you don't need to take it back just because this device gets warm. It is typical for some devices that consume lots of power to get warm. Computers do this all the time. The only reason this is an issue is because the previous iPad never got warm because they used less power. The new one has 70% larger battery, more pixels on light up, and a higher performance graphics chip inside, all of which draw much more power than the previous models. But the device can deal with this and it is not a problem at all. And there may be some users that have never seen their device get warm, but that might be because the keep the screen brightness down and on auto, and aren't doing much more than reading on the internet. How warm it gets really depends on how you are using it. I've done testing on mine and with the screen on 100% brightness, after 36 minutes the back was at 111 Deg F. It did feel warm to the touch, but not where near hot. It didn't overheat or shut down or do anything strange. It was just warm. I never need to run my screen at 100% brightness, though, I keep it around 40-50% and on auto, so in typical day-to-day usage it doesn't even get warm.

Don't let all of this talk keep you from enjoying your new iPad.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why would you take it back?

It sounds as though it is behaving normally. No, I'm sure Apple would not treat you to a non Apple product like the Zagg screen protector. I have had the same device on my iPad and my earlier iPhone and, in my humble opinion, t is completely unnecessary. Never bothered with in on iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s or iPad 2 or New iPad and have not missed it's degradation of the screen at all.

As one of the responders mentioned, all iOS devices get a little warm sometimes. So what? My MB Pro is running at 130 degrees F as I write this, that's a touch warmer than the 94 degrees Consumer Reports measured the New iPad at. Not even body temperature. My puppy is warmer than that.

OP
L

Lindsey26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanx so much for the replies! They're much appreciated :)

Most reactions

Latest posts