What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring

AppleAlias3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been having major problems with syncing music onto my iPad, and I figured i would just restore and save myself the stress. I have never done this before so if all of my stuff is on iTunes, I won't lose anything, right? I've invested probably over 100 dollars in apps and I don't want to lose everything. I sync regularly, so is everything backed up?

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You won't lose anything on your iTunes library, or at least you shouldn't. When I set up iTunes, I created a separate iTunes Library folder. Everything that I load, whether music, videos, apps, etc., gets saved into that folder. Once I have downloaded something into iTunes, I copy that folder onto a separate external drive. Like you, I have hundreds of dollars of tunes and videos that I can't afford to replace, that's why I make sure I back up everything. If for some reason iTunes bombs out I have the back up folder on my external drive ready to replace all what's lost. It might be a good idea to locate the folder iTunes set up and back up that folder before you go any farther.

OP
A

AppleAlias3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea, so I can just put the iTunes folder on a flash drive or something? And then is it ok to restore?

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it's on your computer in iTunes and you use the same account to setup the "new" iPad all your stuff should be there. I had to return my original iPad a week after I got it. The (actually) new one looked exactly like the old one after the restore.

Note that while you can always re-download app purchases (even directly without iTunes) media such as songs and video can't be downloaded again. That's why you may want to backup your PC. Or at least your iTunes library.

If you poke around in the menus in iTunes you'll notice that there is a backup function built in to protect what you have on your PC...

Videographer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you poke around in the menus in iTunes you'll notice that there is a backup function built in to protect what you have on your PC...

While in iTunes, go to preferences and select advanced. There you will see where your back up folder is located. I changed mine to a new folder that I placed in my main documents folder. For me it's easier to get to rather than digging through program folders etc. It works for me. I have learned over the years to back up everything. You never know the day or hour when your computer might crash, and if you haven't done regular backups . . . well it's time for the Tylenol, if you know what I mean.

OP
A

AppleAlias3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have everything back up, but I just thought of something. Since my iPad is having trouble syncing, how will I get everything back on the iPad?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, I would doubt a restore is the best course of action to resolve a problem with music syncing in iTunes. I've never heard of this being because of a corrupt iPod app on the iPad.

Before you do a restore, try the following (you should not lose anything from this procedure. It is safe).

I am assuming you automatically sync your music. If not, let me know how you have it set up and we will take it from there.

What we are going to do is force a clear and re-sync of your music. In iTunes with your iPad connected, click on the iPad in the left hand column, then select the "Music" tab at the top. This is the screen which controls what music goes to your iPad.
Uncheck the "Sync Music" box at the top and then press "Sync" - THIS WILL REMOVE ALL THE MUSIC FROM YOUR IPAD - Don't panic, it is still all within your iTunes library.

Once that is complete, you should re-check the "Sync Music" box and make sure that everything you expect to be ticked in terms of detailed music selection is checked (if you are automatically syncing everything, that's OK too).
Then press "Sync" again. This should re-load your iPad with all your music. Make sure you let the iPad iPod app rebuild it's library when you open it the first time after re-syncing.

It this does not work, try troubleshooting the selection of music which is shown on the "Music" tab. Are you absolutely sure you have everything ticked that you want to be ticked?

Post back with your results.

Last edited:
OP
A

AppleAlias3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried this before, but all it did was take the music off and when I try to resync it, it give me error code 13019 and says it couldn't sync for an unknown reason. It looks like all the new stuff I bought is checked in my library, but I don't use the option to only sync checked songs.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, as ever it is ALWAYS good if you provide all the details like that. AFAIK, iTunes error 13019 is related to the syncing of Voice Memos. Can you make sure under playlists that you are NOT syncing the "Voice Memos" playlist and see if that helps?

Alternatively, try deleting any voice memos you have... (if that is practical).

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you DONT have them selected here... (middle check box of the group)

itunes13019.png

OP
A

AppleAlias3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is not checked, and I used the thing to remove all the songs and put then back on, but some stay on and after it said it was copying them all back on, the error code popped up. A little nervous about restoring, but I have no idea what to do!

HedgeHogLuvva

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AppleAlias3 said:
What are voice memos?

Exactly what it says, voice recordings, think of it as a personal voice recorder, but in an app form, can be useful, especially when proving someone actually said something

Hedgie

Most reactions

Latest posts