What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reset Encrypted Data

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought a new iPad mini and I keep getting the reset encrypted data message on the iPad and my iPhone.
I have done the reset on both devices and still get the message. It mentions iTunes. It I have never used iTunes
in relation to my tablet or phone. I don’t have a computer. This didn’t happen with previous phones or tablets.
Any suggestions? I’m not concerned about the encryption so much as the red 1 is annoying.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't know what your notification means. My best guess is that it has something to do with encrypted backups. Can you give us the exact text of the notification? Or better yet a screenshot (with any personal data showing blacked out).

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know what your notification means. My best guess is that it has something to do with encrypted backups. Can you give us the exact text of the notification? Or better yet a screenshot (with any personal data showing blacked out).
Thanks for the reply. I believe it does have to do with encrypted backup but I’m not sure why I got the message. I’ve had new iPhones and iPads and never had this happen. And I never used iTunes in relation to my devices. Here are two screenshots. When I “fix” on one device the other gets the red 1.

Attachments

• C3BE7252-7B5D-4BFF-8E86-B5E6F90A629B.png
    C3BE7252-7B5D-4BFF-8E86-B5E6F90A629B.png
    245.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 50D92562-491A-4BBA-9821-9705C17BA1F9.png
    50D92562-491A-4BBA-9821-9705C17BA1F9.png
    241.9 KB · Views: 134

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It seems to have more to do with your privacy. Many of Apple's services us end-to-end encryption, and those encryption keys would need to be synced between your devices. I'm not sure why the reset procedure mentions iTunes, other than the use of iTunes may be one way to do the reset. There should be at least one other method that does not require iTunes or owning another computer.

I can't find anything about this on Apple's support pages. At this point I'd contact Apple Support directly. One of the easier ways to do this is grab their Support app from the App Store and work your way through the menu choices. Eventually you should end up sending in the report, or even in a direct chat. There is no charge for this level of support.

Another possibility, if you are close to an Apple Store you can take you iPad in and have the look at it. Assuming they are open, of course. The diagnostic is free, and most often any help that does not end up reparing or replacing hardware is free. You'll need to make an appointment.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems to have more to do with your privacy. Many of Apple's services us end-to-end encryption, and those encryption keys would need to be synced between your devices. I'm not sure why the reset procedure mentions iTunes, other than the use of iTunes may be one way to do the reset. There should be at least one other method that does not require iTunes or owning another computer.

I can't find anything about this on Apple's support pages. At this point I'd contact Apple Support directly. One of the easier ways to do this is grab their Support app from the App Store and work your way through the menu choices. Eventually you should end up sending in the report, or even in a direct chat. There is no charge for this level of support.

Another possibility, if you are close to an Apple Store you can take you iPad in and have the look at it. Assuming they are open, of course. The diagnostic is free, and most often any help that does not end up reparing or replacing hardware is free. You'll need to make an appointment.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
Thank you so much for your help and suggestions. I have. O idea why this occurred since I have swapped out iPads and iPhones before and it went smoothly.

I’m not really as concerned about the encryption as I am annoyed having the red one reminder. It’s now just on my phone. I douse the phone as often as my iPad so I may just let it be.

Most reactions