What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini and iTunes problem

TB2014

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad asked me to plug in to my PC for an update, which I did. At the end of the update I got a message to Reset Settings, which I didn't want to do, because I was fearful of losing some recent photos of my Dad (who passed away recently), which I have yet to copy onto my PC. I unplugged the connection to the PC and shut the iPad down. Now, when I attempt to restart my iPad, the screen comes up asking me to reconnect to iTunes on the PC, and there doesn't seem any way out of this message. I don't want to lose any essential data on the iPad, so don't want iTunes to proceed, in case it asks again for me to reset the settings. I asked Apple about it (at the Apple Store) and they say iTunes has decrypted the software and an encryption code is needed from Applae to rectify the problem - but Apple refuse to give the required code. Now, the iPad asks to Reset Settings as soon as I boot it up, with options YES or NO, but it won't let me select NO. I'm at a loss and I'm really fearful of losing some precious photos of my Dad if I proceed with the Reset Settings option. Can anyone help?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you interrupted the update process after the initial install chance are that the pictures were already gone from the iPad.

However, if you did a backup as part of the update (this should have been automatic), and the pictures you need are in the Camera Roll, and you have the camera roll set to backup (it is by default), then you should be able to continue the installation process and then restore the iPad from the backup.

You can go to iTunes on the computer, open Preferences and go tot he Devices tab. There you will see the last backup and the date it was performed.

Alternately, if the backup is not encrypted (you would have to have set that up) there are tools available that might be able to recover the pictures directly from the backup file. I'm not familiar with any of the recent ones, so some searching and research are in order; unless someone else has a favorite to suggest.

Last edited:
OP
T

TB2014

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and advice. I have checked the iTunes folder as you suggested, but the last backup file is from September 2013? I think this means the interrupted iTunes update didn't make a backup when the update process started. Does this mean the info (photos) is still on the iPad Mini? And if I let the iTunes update continue by recommencing, will it wipe what's on the iPad or restore the September backup? Either of these options is worrying, as it will mean the photos (data) will be lost forever.

OP
T

TB2014

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I meant to add, all the photos I want are from the last few weeks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know if the photos are still on the iPad or not; though I suspect not. Or if they can be recovered even if they are.

Recovering photos directly from an iPad that is in 'connect-me' mode is beyond my level of knowledge.

Sorry.

Most reactions