What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repeated downloading of read mail

Cathart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am finding this discussion very interesting, since I too have the same problem--although I am already using an IMAP account, since I use Mobileme for my mail. I do have a POP account and a Yahoo account as well, but they all seem to run fine through my Mobileme account. I do not get duplicate emails on my computers---just on my ipad (1). I have never been able to solve this problem. I will open an email, read it, delete it, and within a few minutes it will just download again.... What a nuisance!!!!

OP
Roger1122

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cathart said:
I am finding this discussion very interesting, since I too have the same problem--although I am already using an IMAP account, since I use Mobileme for my mail. I do have a POP account and a Yahoo account as well, but they all seem to run fine through my Mobileme account. I do not get duplicate emails on my computers---just on my ipad (1). I have never been able to solve this problem. I will open an email, read it, delete it, and within a few minutes it will just download again.... What a nuisance!!!!

Hi, Cathartic!

Yes, this is a bummer, isn't it. I have a suggestion that may help. Set up an IMAP mail account and one if the screens offers you a choice of ticking the iPad trash folder or the server trash folder. I have had good results with the SERVER option ticked. Since I tried this yesterday I haven't seen any "repeat" and am keeping my fingers crossed that this did the trick. With the other option I often got a message that the mail could not be moved to the trash folder.

Roger

Cathart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a little afraid to do that because I do have two other computers to which I do want to have my mail delivered. If I delete mail from the server, then I'm afraid it won't be delivered to the other computers.

OP
Roger1122

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cathart said:
I am a little afraid to do that because I do have two other computers to which I do want to have my mail delivered. If I delete mail from the server, then I'm afraid it won't be delivered to the other computers.

I am in exactly the same position as you, but the remedy is simple! Just don't delete anything on the iPad that you think you might want to read on another computer. This is now working for me...

OP
Roger1122

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cathart said:

By the way I see my iPad spell "corrector" thought your name was Cathartic. Sorry about that!

Anyway, I can now use my iPad to scan all my mail, read the urgent stuff, and delete the dross. The things I need to read and/or download at laptop or desktop are there when I want them. For instance Word for Windows docs are not rendered very well on the iPad, so they more or less have to be read on a Windows machine.

Most reactions