What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

E-mails updating on Ipad2

hiker9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently bought an iPad2, and have successfully set up to collect e-mails from my Yahoo account when I'm on the road. I also access these e-mails via other PC's and on my main PC this is set up to download the e-mail from the serve into outlook.

However, after the e-mails have been downloaded from the server, they still appear on the iPad. Is there a feature so that the iPad deletes these e-mails after they have been deleted from the server, or do I have to do this manually?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are using Yahoo with Outlook you probably have a Plus account (I could be wrong, someone else reported being able to get Yahoo mail in Outlook without a Plus account).

Yahoo's server is a POP3 server. This normally removes emails from the server when they are downloaded, but it can be set to leave the emails on the server. That seems to be what is happening. You can double check that by going to the web client and seeing if the emails are still there.

The iPad account however seems to be IMAP, or at least it does a few things that POP3 accounts can't normally do. I have no idea how Apple swung that trick, probably with some sort of agreement with Yahoo.

IMAP accounts reflect what is on the server, so if you are seeing emails on the iPad it is because they were never deleted from the server. Outlook left them there, regardless of what it looks like on the computer.

At any rate, if you delete emails on the web client they will remove themselves from the iPad when it checks in (if not immediately then after tapping the Update icon). That also suggests the problem is with how Outlook is getting and dealing with emails, not the iPad.

If you go through your POP settings on the yahoo email site (only available if you do have Plus account), you could find a way to change this. You may want to go through the settings in Outlook as well. However, if you do get Outlook to start deleting the emails, hold in mind that you will not be able to see them on the iPad anymore. They will probably also be removed from the server all together, since Outlook will probably move them to it's local Trash folder rather than the one on the server.

Since I don't have Outlook to play with I can't confirm some of what I said, which reduces that side of things to speculation. Still, I hope I've given you enough to at least poke around a bit and figure it out for yourself.

OP
H

hiker9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What you describe is what I was expecting to happen, but that doesn't seem to be the case. When the e-mails have been removed from the server, the iPad doesn't seem to update, so I'm still seeing emails on my iPad that have been deleted from the server. My e- mail account is strictly a BT Yahoo account which does use a POP3 server, but I was expecting to be able to set the iPad so that emails that have been deleted from the server are also removed from the iPad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try removing and re-adding the Yahoo account.

You don't say. Did you go to the web site and make sure the emails were really being deleted from the Inbox? And if you delete them on the web site, do they then update on the iPad?

OP
H

hiker9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - I had checked that the e-mails had been removed from the server, but they were still there on the iPad.

I deleted the e-mail account and re-installed it, but the unread e-mail count is now wrong. It says 12 more unread e-mails than there actually are!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point, other than the general fixit instructions that I apparently forgot to mention in my earlier posts. Probably because it doesn't sound like they will work with this problem, but:

If you haven't tried it yet, a restart might help.

Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

And if that doesn't do the job a reset.

Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. Reboot will probably take a bit longer than a normal restart.

Most reactions

Latest posts