What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repeated downloading of read mail

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have four mail accounts on my iPad 2, a company one plus personal Yahoo, Gmail and Hotmail. I have set the company account to delete mail from the server when I have deleted it from my inbox, but most posts get downloaded again, and some appear several times. I don't think it's a server problem, as when I ran the account from my desktop and then from my laptop, this never happened. (The setting WAS slightly different; delete from server after downloading--which I don't want to do on my iPad).

How can I atop this repeated downloading of mail? It's really annoying!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you are in your Mail app, after you've finished with the e-mail (e.g. deleting it), at the bottom of the left column with the iPad in landscape mode is circular arrow.

Press that arrow and it will refresh your iPad Mail app. This should send an update back to the server to tell it that you've deleted X number of e-mails from your Inbox.

That ought to do it. If not, I've got nothing else, sorry.

Marilyn

OP
Roger1122

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
When you are in your Mail app, after you've finished with the e-mail (e.g. deleting it), at the bottom of the left column with the iPad in landscape mode is circular arrow.

Press that arrow and it will refresh your iPad Mail app. This should send an update back to the server to tell it that you've deleted X number of e-mails from your Inbox.

That ought to do it. If not, I've got nothing else, sorry.

Marilyn

Thanks, Marilyn. I'll give it a try.

Roger

OP
Roger1122

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to say that doesn't appear to be working. Hitting that circular arrow just picks up MORE previously deleted mails from earlier on. I got back to yesterday's mails before giving up.

Help!!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using the IMAP or POP protocol for reading your email on the iPad?

POP simply downloads email from the server and stores it locally.
IMAP makes your iPad a virtual 'window' onto your email server.

Tim

OP
Roger1122

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Are you using the IMAP or POP protocol for reading your email on the iPad?

POP simply downloads email from the server and stores it locally.
IMAP makes your iPad a virtual 'window' onto your email server.

Tim

I am using POP and cannot find any option to select IMAP. I don't really want to have to use my laptop
or desktop to go through my mail just because I can automatically delete mail after I've downloaded it,
as the things I want to keep are different on the different computers and it is SO convenient to sort
everything out on my iPad. Maybe there are some settings I should tweak on the company mail
server? I value your reply,

Roger

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once you create the account on the iPad you cannot convert it to IMAP. You need to delete the account and re-add it.

-t

OP
Roger1122

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Once you create the account on the iPad you cannot convert it to IMAP. You need to delete the account and re-add it.

-t

Thank you. So although I cannot see a POP/IMAP option anywhere in the menus now, and don't remember them from when I set up the accounts, I will see them if I reinstall the mail account? If so, I have a vital question. If I delete the POP account to reinstall it as IMAP, will I lose all the saved mails? I would like to avoid that at all costs.

Roger

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest way is to set up a new account with IMAP and get that working first. Once you've got this 'duplicate' account working, then you can delete the old POP account.

Tim

OP
Roger1122

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, I was wondering if that might the thing to try. Thanks for confirming it.

Roger

OP
Roger1122

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The easiest way is to set up a new account with IMAP and get that working first. Once you've got this 'duplicate' account working, then you can delete the old POP account.

Tim

That worked a treat. I was able to recover all my most recent mail in a new IMAP company mail account and then delete the POP account. There's only one odd thing happening. When I try to delete anything from my in folder I get the message "This mail could not be moved to the trash folder" but I can use the edit function to move it there. No great inconvenience but rather, well, odd... Any comments?

Roger

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of Members, who switched to IMAP, have had this problem. I have an IMAP account, but I can simply delete mail and it goes to Trash. However.....on my email server, if I go there using webmail, there are two separate folders 'Trash' and 'Deleted'.

When I delete an email on my iPad, it goes to the Trash folder on my iPad and on my email server. If I really want to delete an email I have to go to my email server, move the mails from Trash to Deleted and *then* select them all and permanently delete them! So I was wondering, does you email server have a separate Trash and Deleted folder? I wonder whether that might have something to do with it? As you can see, I'm clutching at straws for an answer. As I mentioned, several other Members have experienced the 'residual' problem that you've got and I've yet to 'get to the bottom of it'.

Tim

OP
Roger1122

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
A couple of Members, who switched to IMAP, have had this problem. I have an IMAP account, but I can simply delete mail and it goes to Trash. However.....on my email server, if I go there using webmail, there are two separate folders 'Trash' and 'Deleted'.

When I delete an email on my iPad, it goes to the Trash folder on my iPad and on my email server. If I really want to delete an email I have to go to my email server, move the mails from Trash to Deleted and *then* select them all and permanently delete them! So I was wondering, does you email server have a separate Trash and Deleted folder? I wonder whether that might have something to do with it? As you can see, I'm clutching at straws for an answer. As I mentioned, several other Members have experienced the 'residual' problem that you've got and I've yet to 'get to the bottom of it'.

Tim

I think you've put your finger it, Tim. My server setup is similar to yours, so we're probably seeing the mail server refusing to accept a deletion that conflicts with its own default settings. Moving the mails to the trash folder on the iPad doesn't trigger this reaction. The great advantage of the IMAP account is that I am no longer getting umpteen copies of mail I've already read. The fact that I have to change how I move mails to my trash folder, using the edit function and selecting them all at the same time, instead of just clicking on delete as I read them , is a minor readjustment, not a real inconvenience. Incidentally it has the advantage that I hit the delete button in error a lot less than I used to-- it's really too close the reply button!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad it's working at least better for you now than it used to!! I guess nothing is ever absolutely perfect in this world!!

Have fun...

Tim

OP
Roger1122

Roger1122

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I'm glad it's working at least better for you now than it used to!! I guess nothing is ever absolutely perfect in this world!!

Have fun...

Tim

Yes, I'm definitely hooked on fun! things are still a little odd (inconsistent) in that sometimes even the edit/move/select command is sometimes rejected but I should be able to puzzle it out thanks to your help. Probably a timing lag in the synching of mail server and iPad client.

Roger

Most reactions

Latest posts