What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing apps?

shawnvw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has been tolerant of my adding apps to her iPad, but now that school is starting, and her students will all be sharing it, she wants me to remove as many apps as I can so to save memory.

Is that really how it works?

We currently have 53 apps, using 9 Gb out of 14 (according to About). Is there a way to tell how much space each app is taking up?

She will be installing some kind of office suite, but doesn't know what type of projects the kids will be using the iPad for.
Is she really likely to run out of space?

Is there a way to keep track of uninstalled apps so that they can be restored later?

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The amount of space that apps use is indicated in green on the capacity bar (and the total amount under that) when you sync your iPad in iTunes (the bar is located at the bottom)...

2cypkjc.png

The size of each app is listed next to its name under Apps in iTunes...

mcgp6t.png

Videos, music and photos tend to take up the most space so you may want to look at those prior to removing any apps.

Are you sure your apps total 9GB's? I have roughly 160 apps on my iPad and they take up less than 7GB's. If it is in fact 9GB's of apps, there must be at least one that is very, very big!

That said, any app can be temporarily removed simply by unchecking it while syncing in iTunes. If you want to add it back in later, just check it and re-sync.

Hope that helps and let us know how things go!

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The apps category also includes any files stored in those apps, so apps that store big media files like movies and such can take a lot more space than indicated in the App list in iTunes.

You can get a rough idea of how much space an app is taking by turning it on and off in the list while watching the Capacity bar. It takes a few seconds to respond, so be patient. Just be very careful when doing this. You don't want to accidentally sync with the app turned off. iTunes will remove the apps data too.

Us the Revert button often, and don't double clicks stuff.

Most reactions

Latest posts