What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refurb vs. New

AmazingGraceTx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of my Apple products are refurbished. As long as they have the same warrantee and the same quality as new, then they're good enough for me.

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 is refurbished and I've had it for about 5 months so far and no real problems with it seems just as good as a new one

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
cellur111 said:
My iPad 2 is refurbished and I've had it for about 5 months so far and no real problems with it seems just as good as a new one

Did you get a good deal??

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

jerseymaggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can attest to refurb Apple products as well. I purchased my iphone 4 refurb through AT&T in 06/2011, no issues whatsoever and it looked brand new. My husband was impressed so we bought a refurb for him as well the next month. Both phones still work incredibly well and still look brand new (I take care of my Apple products as they are so expensive).

Last year, I really wanted an iPad. Hubby and I researched a new 2 vs. a refurb 1. Since you can almost bet on a new iPad on a yearly basis, we chose the refurb 1. Have not regretted that decision for one day. The iPad 1 had no flaws and works perfectly. My husband is now using it and loves it. I was the lucky recipient of the iPad 3 when we purchased a second one this year. I plan to get hubby a 3 later this year (refurb if available).

I wouldn't hesitate recommending an Apple refurb product.

Amp1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jerseymaggie said:
I can attest to refurb Apple products as well. I purchased my iphone 4 refurb through AT&T in 06/2011, no issues whatsoever and it looked brand new. My husband was impressed so we bought a refurb for him as well the next month. Both phones still work incredibly well and still look brand new (I take care of my Apple products as they are so expensive).

Last year, I really wanted an iPad. Hubby and I researched a new 2 vs. a refurb 1. Since you can almost bet on a new iPad on a yearly basis, we chose the refurb 1. Have not regretted that decision for one day. The iPad 1 had no flaws and works perfectly. My husband is now using it and loves it. I was the lucky recipient of the iPad 3 when we purchased a second one this year. I plan to get hubby a 3 later this year (refurb if available).

I wouldn't hesitate recommending an Apple refurb product.

What did you spend for the refurb iPad 1 ?

jerseymaggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last year when we purchased it, I believe it was about 529.00 for the 64 gig.

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received a refurb iPad 2 16GB Wi-fi model on Monday. Could not get it to work more than a few minutes without crashing and restarting. Returned it to an Apple Store today and went with a new iPad 16GB Wi-fi model. So far, it is still going. Actually wanted what I got the second time, but was trying to save money. I think some other force of nature was at work. I've only heard good things about Apple refurbs. Rate of problems with refurbs may be less than that with new ones. My Macbook is early 2008 and when it goes, I will be looking at a refurb to replace that.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've always purchased refurbished equipment when trying to save money (and I've always had great success) and I've always heard that you can't tell a refurb iPad from a new one... Well, now that I've had the opportunity to see what the refurbs are like (on my 2nd refurb now), I must disagree with those that say you can't tell it from new. In my experience, the refurb units I've received all have some sort of minor issues. The first had intermittent bluetooth issues. The second had a small screen blemish. It's almost as if they put any iPad with a small defect in the "refurb" pile (no idea if there is any truth to that though).

My point is that if you are considering a refurb iPad, you may want to think twice... While they look identical on the outside, it seems that you are much more prone to receive an iPad with small issues if you buy a refurb... Sure, you can take it back and exchange it for another refurb (like I did), but that becomes a real hassle, especially when you lose the $35 screen protector that you just installed perfectly, only to find a small issue that requires you to exchange it! Plus, like I've found, there is a chance of getting one with an even bigger issue!

Maybe I just had extremely bad luck and it was just a coincidence that I got two refurbs in a row that had issues, but just figured I'd pass on my experience...

EDIT - C'mon - nobody has any experiences with Apple refurbished products? I'd love to hear if others had issues with their refurb units as well!

Intermittent BT issues? Anytime wireless communications are involved, any operation can have intermittent problems. I am not convinced this is a real problem. Sure, a screen blemish counts, for sure.

You can buy brand new iPads with these same issues. And if someone returns those, then they show up as refurbs. But people return iPad for more reasons than small issues. I think your conclusions are simply wrong. The idea of buying a refurb to save money is a good one. I recently got a Kindle Fire refurb, and it is perfect. I would except even better for Apple. Even though I dont' think you meant harm, I think this post will turn some off on refurbs and this is a bad thing, especially since you mentioned in the BT issue. Just accept that you got two refurbs you didn't like. There are people posting they they returned several brand new iPad for picky little issues. Some people just can't be happy.

Amp1216

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davidinvirginia said:
I received a refurb iPad 2 16GB Wi-fi model on Monday. Could not get it to work more than a few minutes without crashing and restarting. Returned it to an Apple Store today and went with a new iPad 16GB Wi-fi model. So far, it is still going. Actually wanted what I got the second time, but was trying to save money. I think some other force of nature was at work. I've only heard good things about Apple refurbs. Rate of problems with refurbs may be less than that with new ones. My Macbook is early 2008 and when it goes, I will be looking at a refurb to replace that.

Just curious how much did that one cost the refurbed one

dedication

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a lot of the tuime "refurb" is just an unwanted item, a lot of high street stores have money back garantees, so if you're not happy you can just take it back. Usually it's completely perfect, but the box is open so they have to sell it as refurb than brand new.

I too have always bought refurbs, can knock off $50 off the price tag, not bad for just an open box. Having said that a lot of people love their Apple boxes and like to collect them,.

desmoface

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've bought a refurbed Imac (4 years ago), 2 refurbed ipods, and just received my refurbed ipad 2 wifi/3g 32gb yesterday...so far, all my apple stuff is refurbed and running strong. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Steve

Most reactions