What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refurb vs. New

notsavvy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there any way to tell refur from a new? I bought an ipad2 from a 3rd party seller as an open box. He guarantees that it is new but how can I tell? I read the serial number to a guy at the Apple retail store and he said it was purchased 12/1/11. And at another store said it was a "replacement" which meant it could be new or a refurb. I would have bought a refurb online with Apple but had a nontransferable gift card for Amazon. I don't mind having a refurb if but I don't want to pay the price of a new one for it. Any clues how to discern the difference?

Last edited:

Mr.Woppit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.usprisonertransport.com
notsavvy said:
Any clues how to discern the difference?
None that I know of. Apple does Very well refurbishing products though. I got a refurb iMac 27" and it was like new! Till my son 4 year old son got to it... Now its pretty he says... Purple sharpie all over the front and back... Gotta love kids!

*** U.S. Federal Prisoner Transportation Services. Director of U.S. Fed. Pr. Tr. ***

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a refurbished iPad 2 and so far nothing is wrong with it my friend had a new iPad 2 and I can't tell any difference with mine in his they both work the same.

mypad36

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I own a few websites that deal with refurbished ipads and in doing research involved with creating sites I would say it all depends on who is refurbishing your ipad. There are lots of companies out there that refurbish iPads and some do a better job than others. Many companies have a really high customer satisfaction rate around 96% while others are lower. I would do some research on the company before buying a refurb from them

mk4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i've got a refurb ipad2 64gb wifi+att3g. looks and works just like new. wouldn't hesitate to buy refurb again. in fact, i might do so again soon, as a gift, once the ipad3 is official and, hopefully, ipad2 refurb prices drop.

McTablet_T2C

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mk4 said:
i've got a refurb ipad2 64gb wifi+att3g. looks and works just like new. wouldn't hesitate to buy refurb again. in fact, i might do so again soon, as a gift, once the ipad3 is official and, hopefully, ipad2 refurb prices drop.

May want to stick to apple with the above. Not all refurb are made alike.

Last edited:

boomer1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
McTablet_T2C said:

I think that is prudent advice.

The refurbished Apple products that I have purchased (2- MacBook Pros, 1- Airport Extreme router, and this iPad 2) have all been from Apple.com. I have had NO service issues with any of them. I would buy refurbished products from apple.com without hesitation.

Sent from my sleek, black iPadusing iPF

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, mine is a refurb iPad 1 and it's still going strong. I'm still getting 10 hours. What pc can say the same! Wow that must mean its nearly 2 years old. Doesn't time fly when you are having fun!

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
boomer1 said:
I think that is prudent advice.

The refurbished Apple products that I have purchased (2- MacBook Pros, 1- Airport Extreme router, and this iPad 2) have all been from Apple.com. I have had NO service issues with any of them. I would buy refurbished products from apple.com without hesitation.

Sent from my sleek, black iPadusing iPF

Yes, cheaper is not always better.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update From NYC using iPF

mk4

iPF Noob
Reaction score

sorry that i didn't specify.
the on-line apple store is where i got my refurb ipad2. that's where i'd go again. i was speculating that the ipad2 refurbs might drop in price when ipad3 is announced/starts shipping.

iBenji

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is refurbished and it works good as new. I see no difference in software or hardware (obviously, since all new outside hardware is added to apple certified refurbished products). Refurbished is good if your on a budget.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iBenji said:
My iPad is refurbished and it works good as new. I see no difference in software or hardware (obviously, since all new outside hardware is added to apple certified refurbished products). Refurbished is good if your on a budget.

I'll second that, the only reason that my iPad 2 is new is that I got it on Black Friday when it was cheaper than a refurb. I have a number of Apple refurb products and they are indistinguishable from new.

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts