What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refurb vs. New

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've always purchased refurbished equipment when trying to save money (and I've always had great success) and I've always heard that you can't tell a refurb iPad from a new one... Well, now that I've had the opportunity to see what the refurbs are like (on my 2nd refurb now), I must disagree with those that say you can't tell it from new. In my experience, the refurb units I've received all have some sort of minor issues. The first had intermittent bluetooth issues. The second had a small screen blemish. It's almost as if they put any iPad with a small defect in the "refurb" pile (no idea if there is any truth to that though).

My point is that if you are considering a refurb iPad, you may want to think twice... While they look identical on the outside, it seems that you are much more prone to receive an iPad with small issues if you buy a refurb... Sure, you can take it back and exchange it for another refurb (like I did), but that becomes a real hassle, especially when you lose the $35 screen protector that you just installed perfectly, only to find a small issue that requires you to exchange it! Plus, like I've found, there is a chance of getting one with an even bigger issue!

Maybe I just had extremely bad luck and it was just a coincidence that I got two refurbs in a row that had issues, but just figured I'd pass on my experience...

EDIT - C'mon - nobody has any experiences with Apple refurbished products? I'd love to hear if others had issues with their refurb units as well!

Last edited:

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I purchased an "open box" iPad, from best buy. I got their warranty as well. It worked well for months, then my email app wasn't working, every time I tapped the mail envelope it went to a black screen, then back to home screen. I took it back, and ended up with a brand new iPad.

I also got a refurbed iPhone, no problems at all. No scratches, works great. Guess I've just be lucky. I've had it over 2 years.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iluvmyipad said:
I purchased an "open box" iPad, from best buy. I got their warranty as well. It worked well for months, then my email app wasn't working, every time I tapped the mail envelope it went to a black screen, then back to home screen. I took it back, and ended up with a brand new iPad.

I also got a refurbed iPhone, no problems at all. No scratches, works great. Guess I've just be lucky. I've had it over 2 years.

My mom raised me cheap and I buy refurb. I bought my iPhone 3G refurb no problems. She got me a free upgrade brand new samsung jack n it's so freaking effed up.

I got my iPad 2 straight up yay but I don't feel like I would have any problems With a refurb.

Veritas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Refurbs aren't bad if they come with a warranty. That would be the only concern I would have. I thought about buying an iPad 1 refurb from apple because of the price but ended up grabbing a iPad 2 because the price wasn't that much off. ESP with my sisters wal mart discount. :)

cypress

iPF Noob
Reaction score
refrubs are hit and miss at times. ive gotten 2 laptops refurbed from DELL and one looks brand spanking new the other just had some light scratches. neither have ever given me problems though

when it comes to Ipad i wouldn't go refurb though. rather just spend the money and get a new one.

DQ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jtrosky said:
I've always purchased refurbished equipment when trying to save money (and I've always had great success) and I've always heard that you can't tell a refurb iPad from a new one... Well, now that I've had the opportunity to see what the refurbs are like (on my 2nd refurb now), I must disagree with those that say you can't tell it from new. In my experience, the refurb units I've received all have some sort of minor issues. The first had intermittent bluetooth issues. The second had a small screen blemish. It's almost as if they put any iPad with a small defect in the "refurb" pile (no idea if there is any truth to that though).

My point is that if you are considering a refurb iPad, you may want to think twice... While they look identical on the outside, it seems that you are much more prone to receive an iPad with small issues if you buy a refurb... Sure, you can take it back and exchange it for another refurb (like I did), but that becomes a real hassle, especially when you lose the $35 screen protector that you just installed perfectly, only to find a small issue that requires you to exchange it! Plus, like I've found, there is a chance of getting one with an even bigger issue!

Maybe I just had extremely bad luck and it was just a coincidence that I got two refurbs in a row that had issues, but just figured I'd pass on my experience...

EDIT - C'mon - nobody has any experiences with Apple refurbished products? I'd love to hear if others had issues with their refurb units as well!

I have to buy new. Just the idea that someone else has touched my precious electronic is enough to drive me nuts. I want it brand new, out of the box and if I find a flaw, it goes straight back, lol.

morb

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most open box items at places like Best Buy are usually alright. Just try and have them open it and look at it before you leave the store.

tkflyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just bought a refurbished iPad 2 from the Apple store WiFi 32 gig for $499. It comes with one year warranty and I cannot tell it from brand new, shipped in a new box with all the bit that come with a new iPad. Have been using the pad for several weeks and no problems.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tkflyer said:
Just bought a refurbished iPad 2 from the Apple store WiFi 32 gig for $499. It comes with one year warranty and I cannot tell it from brand new, shipped in a new box with all the bit that come with a new iPad. Have been using the pad for several weeks and no problems.

Nice!! Enjoy!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01 Update using iPF

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. I purchased a refurbished iPad last December,I have never had one problem.

☮ ♥ 

boomer1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Over the last couple of years I have bought several Apple products, some new, some refurb. The refurb items, that I have purchased from Apple.com, have included a 13" MacBook Pro, an Airport Extreme router, and my iPad2. I have had no issues with any Apple products, including the refurbs.

YMMV,
boomer :cool:

Temp31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind buying a refurbished product as long as it had a warranty.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad2Cases.com said:
I wouldn't mind buying a refurbished product as long as it had a warranty.

Apple refurbs have the same warranty as their new products. I've bout many new and refurb products from Apple, never had any issues at all.

The Archangel

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i like things brand new,i never buy anything that has been messed about with by someone else,i love opening a new device,you get that lovely new smell and know that no one else has used it.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Apple refurbs have the same warranty as their new products. I've bout many new and refurb products from Apple, never had any issues at all.

The Archangel

Good to know!! Thanks for sharing!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.01Update From NYC using iPF

Most reactions