What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 4 display question

Sissy526

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was a happy refurb 64gb iPad 2 user until 14 days ago. Then I passed my device on to my hubby, who really wanted it so he could use the Astra Jigsaw Puzzles app but is rapidly using it for everything now. So, I got a 64gb refurb 3rd generation iPad, as did my daughter. Her 32gb unit arrived with a very patchy yellow screen but had to be returned for display detachment. Apple immediately replaced hers and she is happy with the replacement. My unit was a little dark but brightened up after it was all set up. The thing, though, is that my screen has a noticeable pinky-brown overtone to it, particularly in the upper left corner, and blues are a little purply. I am returning it for a refund because Apple says they don't have a replacement unit available, although you can buy them from the Apple store. And frankly, after researching what others with similar problems went through with the 3rd gen displays, I'm afraid that another 3rd gen would have the same or a worse problem.

So, I have given all this background because hubby is encouraging me to just get a 4th gen. My concern, though, is since they both have the same(?) retina display, does the 4th gen have the same screen issues: uneven discoloration, too yellow or a rosy tint, etc. I checked through this forum and don't see any complaints about the screen. Can anyone give me some feedback on how the screen is on the 4th gen?

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Zero issues here and I'm absolutely thrilled with the whole unit, especially the display.

Your comparing a refurb unit to a brand new unit.....Not sure what Apple all does to a refurb unit but I doubt they replace the display.
You never know why the unit was returned to begin with or what issues it had.
Most seem to have good luck with the Apple refurbs but I've heard similar stories to yours. I personally would never purchase a refurb anything.....I don't want to inherit someone else's issues.
The cheaper price isn't worth the hassle or potential issues.

Get the iPad 4 and you'll be thrilled IMHO. :thumbs:

throwback8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zero issues with mine as well and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Before buying my iPad 4 my girlfriend was wondering why I needed one when I owned a high quality custom PC, a laptop and an iPhone. It actually caused me to have some doubts, but bottom line is that I now use it for many things and it's simply a pleasure to use. The screen is absolutely brilliant and I see no color issues, dead pixels, or anything to that effect. I will add though that I bought my girlfriend an iPad 3 and the screen It's equally as nice as my iPad 4. From the lack of posts on this forum about issues you describe and my girlfriends iPad 3, I'm guessing the refurbished models were the issue. Good luck with you're choice and enjoy!

Last edited:

Most reactions