What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reasons why people hate the ipad...debunked

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of having to go through iTunes for certain things either. And a USB port would be nice. I don't think those criticisms are invalid.

+1

I really don't like iTunes, it used to run incredibly slow on my old computer and I know part of it was older hardware but it still should not have essentially locked down my computer just to sync my iPhone. iTunes runs much faster on my new computer with an i5 processor and 8GB of RAM but I still don't care for it much.

I really wish you could setup and update the iPad without having to go through iTunes. I'd like to get my 76 year old grandmother one so she can video chat with her great-grandchildren. She's never used a computer in her life but I know she's willing to learn and the iPad seems like an ideal way to do that given that it's easy to learn and hard to mess it up (compared to windows for example where you can get into the system files and screw them up by accident if you don't know what you're doing). I wouldn't mind setting the iPad up for her and syncing it for updates periodically but seeing as how I live in the US and she lives in Belgium that's not really an option.

I would also really love a USB port and expandable storage with micro SD cards (but yes I realize Apple would lose a lot of money but it annoys me because I feel ripped off to pay $100 more for my 32GB when I know a 16GB micro SD is much much cheaper). As an amateur photographer, I do love the camera connection kit.

All in all though, I knew about all these limitations when I bought the iPad and I still love it. I do believe it's the best tablet out there hands down. My brother wants a Xoom and I just laughed at him and said go for it, I'm sticking to my iPad (which my mother played with once and now she's calling stores trying to find one in stock!).

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
There are many things that Android tablets do much better than the iPad. Everytime someone tries to explain what those are though, they have to deal with a bunch of people losing their minds and either making things up or playing super Apple fanboy and dismissing the positives as unimportant. And then come the in the Super Moderators who are REALLY invested in a particular platform ans say some REALLY untrue things. And then the thread is closed when you rebut their misinformation.

Love my iPad, but its certainly not a perfect device.

So let me get this straight, you own an iPad but think that android tablets do many things much better. Why not just own an android tablet instead of an iPad? Not looking to argue, just curious...

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So let me get this straight, you own an iPad but think that android tablets do many things much better. Why not just own an android tablet instead of an iPad? Not looking to argue, just curious...

Because there isnt an Android tablet out yet which I don't think is a piece of junk. I know most here will probably disagree (I don't know on what possible basis), but I don't think its even a question that Honeycomb is a better OS than iOS4.3. The thing is that Apple uses superior (really amazing) hardware. I am not going to get a junky Tegra 2 tablet which is incapable of playing high profile h.264. I am waiting for a tablet to come out with hardware that wows me. If the iPad2 had Honeycomb on it, it would be probably my ideal tablet. That GPU that Apple used is amazing, and is the updated and dual core version of what my phone runs (Epic4g Galaxy S Android phone). There are lots of SoC's on the horizon that are very promising.

Also, hardware is much more important on an Android tablet, because of the increased number of things you can do with it. On Android for example, I can use CifsManager to remotely mount any windows share on my phone/tablet and play files streaming off of said share. Well, if I got the crappy Xoom, I would be unable to play any of my videos, as all of them are high profile h.264 which the junky Tegra2 chokes on. My phone can play those files flawlessly with full hardware acceleration. The iPad cannot do this unless jailbroken and using XBMC, so its less of an issue to most.

Last edited:

Godfather4190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
Because there isnt an Android tablet out yet which I don't think is a piece of junk. I know most here will probably disagree (I don't know on what possible basis), but I don't think its even a question that Honeycomb is a better OS than iOS4.3. The thing is that Apple uses superior (really amazing) hardware. I am not going to get a junky Tegra 2 tablet which is incapable of playing high profile h.264. I am waiting for a tablet to come out with hardware that wows me. If the iPad2 had Honeycomb on it, it would be probably my ideal tablet. That GPU that Apple used is amazing, and is the updated and dual core version of what my phone runs (Epic4g Galaxy S Android phone). There are lots of SoC's on the horizon that are very promising.

Also, hardware is much more important on an Android tablet, because of the increased number of things you can do with it. On Android for example, I can use CifsManager to remotely mount any windows share on my phone/tablet and play files streaming off of said share. Well, if I got the crappy Xoom, I would be unable to play any of my videos, as all of them are high profile h.264 which the junky Tegra2 chokes on. My phone can play those files flawlessly with full hardware acceleration. The iPad cannot do this unless jailbroken and using XBMC, so its less of an issue to most.

I can respect that, my best friend has an android phone and the openness of the android OS is very attractive. The big problem I have with android devices is the way they look and feel. It's almost like someone threw together a bunch of cheap plastic and called it a device.

Ingoiolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of the criticisms are fair.
Loving the iPad does not mean playing blind to its several weird deficiencies... I do love it, but som iOS features are objectively stupid

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ingoiolo said:
Most of the criticisms are fair.
Loving the iPad does not mean playing blind to its several weird deficiencies... I do love it, but som iOS features are objectively stupid

Agreed.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By they way the open Android platform will be going away soon. Google is trying to lock it down.

Android platform is not getting locked down. Google is only enforcing a non fragmentation clause that has existed for a while but never been enforced. They are simply requiring that OEM's not modify major system files so that when an update comes out the OEM's are able to port their customizations easier and allow the consumer to receive the update quicker. Its pretty much good for everyone

Trust me. The man is very smart.;)

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Flash support in the web browser--Flash is dead. HTML5 is the future and most sites support both

I'm sorry but you can't debunk with that. The lack of Flash support is a legitimate issue and it hurts K-12 Education especially. For normal users I'd agree that not having Flash isn't that big a deal, and for those cases that come up there are 3rd party browser options that will cover you on may kinds of static Flash site (just not games).

No Flash on iPad = Bad for K-12 Education adoption. Unless some bright buddy wants to go twist some arms at Ed software companies and get the them to stop using Flash... and while your at rap some heads over many of them still keeping Shockwave content live.

(oh and I guess I'm back :p)

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
other valid ones.

Your answer to his criticism is to buy a VERY expensive accessory? lol.

t.

My solution for speakers. I use $7 cables in aux. on all my radios (Sony theater systems use the USB Apple cable and even charge) or other relatively inexpensive cables depending upon what's needed. Our large sound system uses the cable with the red, yellow, white which I can't think of name to save me right now. I should add though, in all honesty, that I hook my Touch rather than the Ipad. I COULD hook the Ipad but since I have other options its just easier to carry the Touch in my pocket to whatever room I'm in and connect (big old house).

Diane

Last edited:

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
other valid ones.

Your answer to his criticism is to buy a VERY expensive accessory? lol.

My solution for speakers. I use $7 cables in aux. on all my radios (Sony theater systems use the USB Apple cable and even charge) or other relatively inexpensive cables depending upon what's needed. Our large sound system uses the cable with the red, yellow, white which I can't think of name to save me right now. I should add though, in all honesty, that I hook my Touch rather than the Ipad. I COULD hook the Ipad but since I have other options its just easier to carry the Touch in my pocket to whatever room I'm in and connect (big old house).

Diane

I do the same thing, but I don't think that is a valid rebuttal to what the original complaint was. Personally I think the speakers on my iPad are pretty fantastic for the size of the iPad. Of course I wouldn't mind Apple throwing in 2 speakers or even 3 like some of the upcoming android tablets so that there is stereo sound no matter how you hold the tablet, but I wouldn't personally even mention speakers as a complaint against the iPad because I think they are perfectly acceptable how they are.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been stated I hate iTunes. My sole reason for jail braking was to get Ifiles. I no longer need iTunes except to backup or update iOS. Aything other thn that ifiles takes care of it, ALL WITHIN THE IPAD ITSELF, NOT CHAINED TO PC ITUNES..lmao

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been stated I hate iTunes. My sole reason for jail braking was to get Ifiles. I no longer need iTunes except to backup or update iOS. Aything other thn that ifiles takes care of it, ALL WITHIN THE IPAD ITSELF, NOT CHAINED TO PC ITUNES..lmao

Say you download an album from some website or a video from some website, how do you integrate it with the iPod app or the videos app without iTunes? Sure you can just use ifiles to launch a third party app, but that is annoying.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thphilli said:
I do the same thing, but I don't think that is a valid rebuttal to what the original complaint was. Personally I think the speakers on my iPad are pretty fantastic for the size of the iPad. Of course I wouldn't mind Apple throwing in 2 speakers or even 3 like some of the upcoming android tablets so that there is stereo sound no matter how you hold the tablet, but I wouldn't personally even mention speakers as a complaint against the iPad because I think they are perfectly acceptable how they are.

iPad speakers are good IMO. Just wanted to say I liked your other posts in this thread. I'm the same way. I like being a master of multiple OS's. Not just one or the other. U can give me an android device I've never used b4 and I'll navigate like I've always had it. Same with apple and windows devices. People just talk of Android n Apple for the moment but watch, I bet Microsoft comes with something that's gonna change the game up again ;-) people forgetting most pcs on this planet run their operating system. That kind of influence and power can't be ignored, regardless if they have a tablet out now or not. New microsoft tablet probably gonna have Kinect technology in it. Forget touchpad or having to touch screen, gonna be completely handsfree use ;-)

Most reactions

Latest posts